Would it be really stupid to go on vacation by myself??

I am recently single, my ex and I have a three year old together. I got a promotion a few weeks ago and making a lot more money. Things are going well for me.. But I really want to go sit on a beach somewhere warm for a week. (Like, go to an all inclusive resort in Mexico!).. but I sincerely have no one to go with. Like.. no one at all besides my three year old, who, taking would kind of defeat the purpose of going and sitting on a beach relaxing for a few days.. (Really I am thinking like 4 days, 3 nights).

Soo... I'm wondering if it would be totally lame to go on a vacation like that alone.. LOL Would you ever?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Travel

• As long as you are able to enjoy yourself (some people would be tooooo worried about what everyone else was thinking) its awsome. I personally LOVE the peace of being alone and being able to really clear your mind.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 2:14 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• NO not lame...go have fun, relax, soak up some sun, take some time for you.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 2:15 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• as long as there's a good reliable babysitter which in this case i assume would be the father i see no problem with it in fact i've done it before not the mexico part but the vacation by myself
    macks_mommy

Answer by macks_mommy at 2:22 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I'd leave my girl primarily with my parents. Her daddy works a LOT, which is a big reason we aren't together any more.. He will have her when he can, but mostly she'd be with my parents (TOTALLY reliable, btw)..

I just feel like its kind lame, going away for something like that.. alone. LOL..

It sounds sooo fun, though, being alone, reading a couple of books.. doing whatever I want, whenever I want.. not having to worry about a child or anyone else.. I can treat myself for getting a promotion.. LOL
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:25 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Hell yes, I would love it but I have always said "I am my own best company"! I would probably take a cruise though.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:33 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I think you should absolutely go!!! Maybe not to Mexico, but someplace that's a little on the safer side. I would love to have four days to myself but I would miss my toddler too much, I'd be going crazy by day 2!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:39 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Just do it!!
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 3:03 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My 17yo went to Scotland and England on her own. I'm never against the idea of solo travel to anywhere except war zones....

That said: if you're flush and love your family, why not take a few with you?

Lying on a beach may be fun for a day or two... but who will you talk to? What else do you want to do? Whose company do you enjoy and actively seek out? If the answer is no one --not even your own child-- I would suggest that you need to spend your money on time with someone who can reconnect you with your values and goals, rather than something hedonistic and luxurious... because it has no hope of making you happier than you are right now.

I'm mindful of SaraLeeMorgan's point: until 3 days after my husband left Ecuador, it was safe... then there was a violent revolution. If he'd been there 6 days earlier...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:29 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Go for it! I have an aunt who traveled the world by herself. Plus a niece who is starting to. They always leave their itinerary with family. Enjoy..........and congrats on your promotion.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:01 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I went to Tahiti all inclusive alone- booked for a week and ended up staying 3!! Had the time of my life!! GO FOR IT!!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:05 AM on Oct. 9, 2010