Should a christian decorate,celebrate or let there kids go trick or treat for Halloween?

MommyofHDPnPCP

Asked by MommyofHDPnPCP at 2:55 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Holidays

• It is the day before All Saint's Day...

I would say, if you believe in magic, magic words, demons, faeries, ghosts, vampires, werewolves, et cetera... then it's probably an event that is deeply meaningful. Dangerous and all that.

If, on the other hand, all of those things are in the realm of fantasy, dragons and witches, it's a fun evening of costumes, candy and bonfires... perhaps fireworks if you happen to live in a jurisdiction that allows it. Big deal.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• i grew up that way (in a christian household) andand my parents never allowed us to trick or treat, we didnt decorate, we didnt "celebrate" anything to do with halloween...it was our family tradition to go out for dinner together...

i dont practice christianity anymore, and i take my daughter trick or treating thu the mall...(shes 6) this year i think were gonna go to a few houses as well..depending on the weather (its ALWAYS raining on halloween)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:09 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• both its just for fun
    bball34gurl4

Answer by bball34gurl4 at 3:10 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• The holiday has nothing to do with God or Devils. Let the kids have fun, you probably will too. I think you want to do it or you would never have asked the question.
    Piper422

Answer by Piper422 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I don't see any reason why they shouldn't. Its just a fun little holiday.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• i'm christian, and i see no problem with my daughter going trick-or-treating, and celebrating halloween.
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I think that the holiday has moved so far past what it used to be or what some people believe it to be (the devils holiday) that it's kind of silly to still make that connection. It's basically about kids getting dressed up and collecting candy. If people want to take it deeper, sure...there is something slightly morbid about the day. But our society is notorious for putting a negative spin on death. In certain latin cultures and many other cultures around the world they have "Dia de las Muertos" or Day of the Dead. It's a time of celebration of people who have passed on before us and is celebrated in a similar fashion as halloween. It is what you make of it IMO.
    sandrizzle

Answer by sandrizzle at 3:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It depends on how you celebrate it I think.

I let my kids dress up and we'll either go trick or treating... or we'll have a party at home. We're not doing anything evil or worshipping anything... the kids dress up and get candy, that's it. :D
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 5:37 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

I agree with this.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I agree, I do not see anything wrong with having a fun night dressing up. I don't think God will send you to hell for it.
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 12:58 AM on Oct. 12, 2010