Can you be a Christian and still believe in the Methaphysical world (psychics, readings, hypnosis, spirits, etc)?

Monica84

Asked by Monica84 at 3:36 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why not? I seriously don't see a problem with it! I was raised in the tight lipped and only your Sunday best type "Christian" home and as we were always running late on Sunday morning I would hear "HURRY UP GODDAMMIT! WE'RE LATE FOR CHURCH - AGAIN!" so yeah, I don't think a true Christian is supposed to put on a face....It is what it is. I take my kids to church - but they don't have to go. They can dress up but they don't have to. The only requirement from God is that we "believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved". PERIOD!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 5:07 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• (copied from your other post)- Not only does God "speak" directly to us but Christianity also has the prophetic, spiritually sensitive, to help us understand God's message. I am a prophetic Christian with the gift of "Discerning of Spirits". I have seen and felt the presence of both evil spirits and Heavenly Angels. We have no need for psychics or readings as long as we rely on God and the Bible has many scriptures that speak about spirits, they're nothing new. As far as hypnosis it's my belief that that can open you up to the spirit relm so I wouldn't do it.

BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 5:24 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• If you believe the Bible, these things are wrong to dabble in. If not, believe/participate in anything you want.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:08 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• As a Christian I do not mess with stuff like that. Hypnotism, as done by a therapist and not some side show stuff, is entirely different in my book. I could be wrong but I am okay with that one. Not talking about past life regression, that's in a world on it's own.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:42 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I guess my opinion is yes. Psychics and mediums often refer to their ability as a gift. Who gives them the gift? God does, in my view, provided they are true psychics and not just scam artists.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:57 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I don't see why not.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Psychics and readings are explicitly forbidden. Hypnosis is implicitly forbidden. And if by "spirits" you mean talking to the dead, that is also forbidden. If by "spirits" you mean to ask if we believe in their existence, yes we do - there are good spirits and evil spirits.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• You know....I only believe in things I can see and hear....things that are real. If I was asked, I would guess that I would be a Unitarian. And I certainly don't waste my time with "Readings" 'PSychics" or "spirits". I only believe in God...of a kind...and I won't adhere to a theory or a belief in something that is created only by the imaginations of men. (Or women)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Metaphysical....by the way.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Believing these are possible as a Christian is different from participating in them. NO, as a Christian is would be scripturally wrong to support these practices in anyway.
    Galatians 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, and they are fornication, uncleanness, loose conduct, 20 idolatry, practice of spiritism, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, divisions, sects, 21 envies, drunken bouts, revelries, and things like these. As to these things I am forewarning YOU, the same way as I did forewarn YOU, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s kingdom."

PinkLentil

Answer by PinkLentil at 4:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2010