Which is more exhausting....SAHMs

Is it more exhausting to spend the day in with your kids cooking, cleaning up, and keeping them occupied, or spending the day out and about while juggling the kids and keeping up with them and dealing with them in public?

sandrizzle

Asked by sandrizzle at 3:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• What a good question!

It depends.

Helpful? No? Sorry....

It depends on the kids, their ages and their temperaments. It depends on their mother --her temperament and her current level of sanity.

When everyone in our house was sane, fed, watered and well-slept, it was easy to be at home or out. When they were hungry, tired, dehydrated or currently bananas... well, didn't much matter where we were. It's much more important to make sure everyone's (even mom's --it's amazing how a mom can spread misery around with a big shovel when she's pissed off) needs are met than Where they are met...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:59 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I have a toddler and an infant.. It is much harder to chase my oldest while trying to lift and carry the infant.. and then keeping them happy in public.
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 4:29 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I prefer keeping the little suckers home or out on the trails or the play ground. I would rather remove my own wisdom teeth than take all of them grocery shopping alone.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• we do well anywhere, as long as I am not hungry or hot (I become extremely irritated if I get hot! lol) and if we dont go shopping with friends(that is always a nightmare!).The kids are good if they have food and a drink at some point.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:30 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• For me, I have to do something outside of the house each morning geared for DS. We go to the park, My Gym, art class, library, swim lessons etc. If I keep him home he climbs the walls, literally. Its too stressful for me. He is a very active little boy that needs many outlets for his energy. I might throw a quick stop to the store in the mix only with the promise to do something active. I'm dreading the winter
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 6:57 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Most times, I'd rather stay in. I would not want to spend the whole day chasing them around stores, although I do sometimes. Then, I get home and say I'm not ever doing that again...lol
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 7:14 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I think it is harder to be out with them. Both are super exhausting, but being out is a bit harder. If someone has a tantrum at home I do not have to stress about getting them to quiet down etc. Plus if I get "haggard" looking, its cool at home. lmao
    v8v

Answer by v8v at 7:31 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I think sometimes it is easier to stay out with them. It all depends on the day.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 7:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My kids behave better when we are out. My daughter is 9 yrs old and my son 1.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 12:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It's easier to be home but then I can kick the older kids outside when they get on my nerves.  Or I put them to work.  I hate going out alone with them.  It's stressful and exhausting to keep track of 4 kids plus deal with the baby.  I avoid going places alone with them and when I do we're walking (I don't have my own car).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:03 PM on Oct. 9, 2010