anyone have their wisdom teeth out recently?

was wondering how much you paid with/without insurance?
what kind of extraction was it, simple or with complications?
how was the recovery time?
what kind of pain did you have after it was done with a high or low pain tolerance level?

i'm beginning to have some problems with lower left tooth and have been told a couple of times now that i should consider having them removed so i was just looking for some opinions and insight.

macks_mommy

Asked by macks_mommy at 4:23 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Health

• My daughter had 8 teeth extracted: 2 bicuspids that were 'inside the upper arch'... 2nd row of teeth up top... plus 2 that were 'outside the arch' on the bottom and her wisdom teeth (invisible, but growing under all 4 of her molars)...

It was $2300 before insurance for anaestesiologist, extractions, aftercare... we paid a little under a grand for it all, after insurance.

I would strongly recommend iv sedation rather than general anaesthetic, just because of the difference in recovery: it is easier to come out from under sedation than a general. I say this as a person who had both: 4 teeth extracted with a general, which was horrible, and 4 extracted under sedation which was much easier --weird, but easier.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:39 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I had my two right ones taken out last year around this time. I payed a co-pay of $90 for both, insurance paid the rest. It was HORRIBLE! My lower right tooth had a hook at the root & it was very hard to pull out. So, they had to chip away at my jaw bone to get it out. Seriously, the pain was worse than my natural childbirth. I could not feel it while they were doing it. But, later that night OMG! I couldn't eat but i had to take my pain meds with food....ugg....i was drinking milk shakes just so that i wouldn't puke from the pain meds. It hurt for about 5 days. I can easily say, that was the worste pain in my whole entire life!

I really hope you don't have any "hooks" on your wisdom teeth roots! Also, the older you are, the more "planted" your roots are in your mouth. When you get them out as a teen, it's so much easier & much less painful & they heal quicker. Good luck! I have a high pain tolerance too...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:51 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• my two right ones were much easier though! No hooks on the roots. They healed real quick, i didn't even really need the pain meds. So, it really all depends. Good luck!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I had all 4 of mine out 2 years ago. I kept having pain and finally it just got to be too much. My bottom 2 were pretty impacted. I don't remember the insurance part but I do remember the pain after. The day after was the worst. I think it was maybe a couple weeks before I started to feel normal again.
    mochamomof3

Answer by mochamomof3 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My daughter had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted this summer. They hadn't yet erupted, but the DDS thought they would cause problems if left. Insurance paid hers.

She was put under for the extractions (all done at once). It was difficult for her to swallow enough to keep the pain meds and antibiotics from upsetting her stomach. I fed her pudding and soup (much of which kinda dribbled down her chin - she was still numb).

The pain pills did it for her. Her cheeks were a little puffy the 2 days after, and she had a little bruising on one side. Apart from that, it wasn't a problem. By the 4th day, she didn't need the Rx pain meds, but did take ibuprofen for about a week - for the swelling (which we hardly noticed, but being a teen, she thought was awful.

By day 4, to her disappointment, she was eating pretty normally. (She had hoped to lose a few pounds). :-D
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I paid $1900 without insurance 2 years ago.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 12:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My daughter had two severely impacted wisdom teeth out, with "twilight" sedation. It was $1900; 900 of this was the anesthesia

Answer by rkoloms at 3:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2010