It's 5:12 AM here.

I have not been to sleep yet. Not for five little minutes. The toddler, wild as can be, is red eyed, and wild. I've rocked, nursed, snuggled, everything you can think of.

She will not go to sleep. Any ideas?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 5:14 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stop trying to get her to go to sleep. Let her play. She will fall asleep soon enough. Go clean something while you wait for her to passout.

Answer by louise2 at 5:40 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• has the kid been to sleep? holy crap i bet you feel like crap!

just lay on your bed or the couch.. make sure there's nothing for the baby to get hurt on/with or that she can eat... and sleep.

chances are once youre asleep, baby will follow suit
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 5:41 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Turn off all the 'flicker' and noise in the house: tv, computer screens, radio... anything that has random and unpredictable sounds or lights, or screen refresh (which activates attention brain waves)... and turn down all the lights until it is impossible to read small print and make sure everyone else in the house stays still for at least 40 minutes.

Lie down on a bed in a darkened room (together) and if you fall asleep, that's fine --if you fall out of bed fairly often you're right, you will probably roll onto someone sleeping next to you, but if you don't, you probably won't unless your drugged or drunk (in which case you have a whole pile of other issues to deal with)... but as long as you stay still and quiet, your munchkin will probably fall asleep.

One brilliant mother I read about said 'I was ever so much happier after I surrendered to the reality that children need as much sleep as me, not 4hrs more in the evening.'
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:43 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• At that point I'd stop trying to push her and let her run it out. I normally say no tv before bedtime, but sometimes a soothing lullibye like movie is what's needed. And I suggest trying to take a nap when she zonks out throughout the day. Try to get her up before noon, or you'll have a repeat of last night all over again.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2010