Is it "un Christain"

to do Yogu?
I seen this on Yahoo when I turned my computer.
Some preacher said it

Asked by louise2 at 5:21 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i read that article, the pastor is a super conservative Southern Baptist so it shouldnt be any surprise he thinks yoga is sinful. however, he thinks the stuff done in gyms around America that has no Hindu mantras is not yoga and shouldnt be called yoga. honestly, i think he's splitting hairs to get his 15 mins of fame.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:46 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I don't think so. The reason why some Christians are afraid of yoga (and it is fear) is because it is part of an eastern religion. Many Christians incorporate practices from other religions and philosophies into their own lives and this is seen as wrong by some Christians....Yoga as done in gyms, etc...is just a system of excercise and most Christians would see this as harmless, and even
    "good". In my opinion, yoga, even practiced with the holistic philosophy that comes with it does not contradict Christian beliefs.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:50 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• And you wonder why atheists think Christianity is to controlling.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:12 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• WTF? Are you for real? why in the WORLD would anyone say that?!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 5:23 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Not sure how stretching exercise could be unChristian, but apparently forgiving people and being loving and accepting of people is, in many people's Christian opinions, completely wrong and evil.

Yeah... I don't think yoga is the issue.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:29 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Ok, yeah, I don't think he means the average yoga gym class, he's probably talking about the ties to Hindu... I believe it's Hindu.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:37 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Some say it is but I think it's fine. Yoga is good for you and you can spend time thinking about whatever you want while you are doing it, it's basically stretching while doing breathing exercises, there is nothing wrong with that.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:19 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• How on earth can doing Yoga and getting some exercise hurt you in any way? Preachers say a lot of crap that just isn't true.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:41 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Well, yoga was originally created to help the body sit in meditation postures for a LONG time. But, only Hindu's actually still use Yoga for that purpose today. It's not more considered an exercise, like pilates here in the US. I can't see how it is "un-christian" to do yoga.

I have a SIL who is a serious Southern Baptist. She has been wanting to try yoga & actually went to her preacher & asked if it was OK. I was shocked about that. But, he said it was fine. Although...lol, he told her not to repeat any of the hindu mantra's they might chant. And he said to just think if Jesus if they want you to "draw energy" from the spine. (that is part of meditation, drawing life force energy from your spine) So, she goes...but she just meditates on Jesus the whole time & does the postures, but none of the chanting or other Hindu enfuenced things.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:41 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I don't believe it is, no. Our pastor has had us do yoga before, lol. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:24 AM on Oct. 9, 2010