Does money or lack of it cause issues in your relationship with DH or SO?

SophiaofLight

Asked by SophiaofLight at 6:07 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• We have been through several layoffs, losing a business, and are going through a lay off right now. We always discuss how we will manage our debt plus cut expenses and get through it together. We try to remind ourselves how lucky we are in many ways and that helps some.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:52 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• IT CAN CAUSE ISSUES. IT ALWAYS CAUSES DISAGREEMENTS BUT WE MOVE ON AND TRY TO CUT OUT THINGS TO MAKE UP FOR IT.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 6:18 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It does cause issues, and it can break up a marriage. Back when we were first married and had NO money, I remember getting upset about trying to pay bills. My DH looked at me and said, "I don't any more money and I can't anymore (today). no matter how much money we have it's never going to be enough. And, I don't want to spend the rest of our lives fighting about money." That changed the way I felt about money and set the tone for our marriage. He's was right. We make a lot more now, but the bills are bigger and it's still 'not enough.'
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 7:11 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Not for us. We always manage. We also always talk about everything together. So, if we're low on money, we'll come to an agreement on certain things. Never been a problem in our house. He might stress a little. He is always scared something major is going to happen if we're low on funds, and that we won't have the money to fix the problem. I always tell him it's a waste of time to worry about that. If something like that ever happens, we'll deal with it then. No need to worry what might or might not happen.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:36 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• No it doesnt. I think the key for us (and there were times we had money and times we didnt) is that we both have the same financial goals and ideas about how to make it, where to spend it, how to save it, and the best way in managing it. It's no different than any other issues that come up in marriage (how to raise the kids, for instance) - if you're both headed in the same direction with the same mind set, there's no conflict.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Money does cause some problems with us. I am a disabled sahm so we have only one income coming in. We are a very large family right now due to my husbands oldest daughter and her family living with us. We make our bills and mortgage but when it comes to things like one of the kids need something for school or they want to join a sport, it is a big deal. I think those things are very important to kids, I didn't have that growing up and I think especially sports builds your self confidence, teaches responsibility, hard work, etc. I want my kids to have all the things I didn't and grow up stronger then me so if we need to ask for a little money from my step daughter for a week I don't see the big deal. They live here for free, I even watch my grandchildren for free while they are at work paying off their bills and saving for a house. A little bit goes a long way. They see us struggling pitch in!
    littlemd

Answer by littlemd at 8:03 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It causes arguments sometimes because it's so frustrating knowing that money will only stretch so far. But we talk about it and move on.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:30 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I think it can I used to work but quit because all my husband did was gripe when I"d work and the fact he wasn't making sure homework got done and I came home after workimg a 10 hr. shift to a mess so in the middle of the night I was cleaning instead of going to bed
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Not at all. We realize that we don't have control over how much income we end up with. We work with what we have and try to do what we can to make it until the next paycheck.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:45 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It can cause issues. Money is the root of evil
    lovelypisces

Answer by lovelypisces at 11:29 AM on Oct. 9, 2010