Baby Food

My son is 3 months old, he will be 4 months on the 15th. He seems really interested in food. The pediatrician said he could have baby cereal at 4 months. im wondering if it be ok to just give it to him now?

Texasmoma708

Asked by Texasmoma708 at 2:09 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just try to be on the safe side and wait. His stomach is too weak to handle it now. My son is also 3 months and loves to stare at me eat(and drools). I know how you feel but IMO it's better to make sure he's going to be okay and healthy, just one more month!
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 2:23 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• i have been givin my baby (3 months old) cereal off and on for over a month and she is fine and still having regular stools.
    It just depends on your baby. i gave it to her because she was eating way to much formula and the cereal made her fuller faster instead of her eating 6 ounces at a month and a half i gave her 3 to four with less than a teaspoon of cereal. if you do decide to give it to your baby then just start out very little and see how he reacts and dont put it in every bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• It's really better to wait, I know it's tempting, but their tummies are just not fully developed to the point they can break down anything but milk, the recommendation by so many organizations (WHO, APA, etc, is to breastfeed exclusively for 6 months). Unfortunately, most of us aren't living a lifestyle where we can breastfeed on demand, etc, so cereal gets introduced sooner and sooner. One more month and the fun begins of introducing the first other food. Listen to your pediatrician.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 6:11 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• We started a couple of weeks before her 4 month appt. Funny thing is, she didn't really take to it until she was right at four months. When we first tried, her stools seemed a little grainy so we waited about a week and tried again. I would recommend listening to your pediatrician but if you want to try just keep a look out for signs she/he isn't handling it. Take it slow.
    Debbie062008

Answer by Debbie062008 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• No. Your son should not get ANY solids until SIX months. Not four, but six. That is what the American Academy of Pediatrics, the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the US Department of Health and Human Services and various other well respected health organization ALL say! Your son may seem interested in solids, but he'll be interested in anything you're doing. If you were drinking a beer and he seemed interested would you let him have some? Of course not. It's the same with solids. They are just not good for babies under six months. Please check out this article. :) http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 2:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• The doctors told me to feed my son baby oatmeal. the rice is constipating and i guess oatmeal is better for when your first start out. my son is almost 3 months old and weve been on the oatmeal for about a month now. she said it was fine but i only give it during the night in his formula. he loves it
    hadleesmama

Answer by hadleesmama at 11:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I started William on rice cereal at 2.5 months, he is 4 months now and is eating stage 1 foods. I start with the green veggies, than the orange ones, than i will give fruit. Once i start on the fruit I will also introduce cereal with fruit in the morning. For now he has veggies at dinner and cereal at bedtime. Also only give 1 new food a week to watch for allergies. They say EVERYBODY reccomends no solids tell 6 months, WELL my WIC office gives checks for cereal at 4 months. I am sure WE ALL had solids (at 2 months) when we were babies and we are fine!
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 1:32 AM on Oct. 27, 2008