indoor activity ideas for very active almost 3 yo

We do many activities outside the home but there are some days days where leaving can be hard. I need some ideas for a VeRY active DS. I was thinking the fisher price smart cycle (although, I'm not into video games I thought it might be a good form of exercise), mini trampoline or bounce house? Coloring and games don't work well for more than 5 min for him. :e needs an outlet. Any ideas?

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 7:17 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do you have a dining room table? My mom used to throw and old blanket or sheet over ours. We pretended it was our house, or store, or whatever...like a little fort. Or take the chairs and line them up and set it up like a train. Or just a plain cardboard box! These things help a very active child who has to stay inside use their imaginations!
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:24 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Don't know if this would be too tame but my kids used to love playing in the sink. I would put a smock on them and fill sink half way with water then give them plastic containers, funnels, etc . They would be there forever! I stayed close by so things stayed under control! Just one word of caution about the trampoline. I know it is the small one, but my niece broke her arm on a tramp. Just wanted to mention it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:45 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• edible playdoh is our best friend, but ya toysrus has the my first tramploine and my kids love it or even a blow up ballpit or something toysrus has tons of those too.
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I answered this in your othre question.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• sounds like fun. create the room in centers so ur ds can go from place to place in the room and never get bored and clean up not a big deal
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 3:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Clear space, two laundry baskets, a soft round nurf soccer ball. Laundry soccer. The baskets are the nets. Lots of fun. Camping in the kitchen. Blankets over the table to create the tent, sleeping bags under the table with a flashlight, and fun munchies. We read stories on our "camping" trips. We also play "Rock Star Baby!" Which is radio on, drums, guitar, play piano, and play microphone out to rock to the music. Sandbox in the house. Play sand in a plastic container with army soldiers and hot-wheel cars in the box. Other items added as we find them. Mini shoves and other items that fit the theme. Keeps him busy. Can substitute rice. Beach in the tub. Get the bathing suit out, goggles, beach toys, and bring the party to the tub. Don't forget the beach drinks (lemonade or course). Safari in the house - various stuffed animals around the house and us with our safari gear. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Have your child be the plumber or handy man. Child toy tool set, the plumber outfit (plad shirt with jeans), tool belt.....good to go. Call him on the phone with the emergency and have him come right away to fix it. Even get some cheap piping from Lowes. There is now paint for windows that washes off very easy. Picaso for the hour. We have a sunroom so its isolated and lots of windows. Pirates. The bed is our ship and we dress as pirates. That is a little more involved with a story line and I'm okay with felt swords. Then the entire collection of usual standbys....playdough, coloring books, and the like.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:38 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Any crafts or play doh
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 6:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• yea..coloring, playdough, painting doesnt fly in this house..he is way to physical to sit still for more than 5 min of those
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2010