When am I allowed to be excited about my pregnancy?

I am 23 years old, I have a 3 year old son and I just found out I was preggo again with baby # 2. I am quite shocked, as well as my husband. I am about 5 weeks along and will go to the doctor in 2 weeks. We have already told family and friends ( like we did last time, because we'd rather have support if anything happens). But, my husband has been irritated at me for looking online at fetal development and such. He says he will have to hear the doctor to believe I am really pregnant. (I took 3 positive tests). And mind you it's not like I am picking out bedding or anything. So, when is it ok to go ahead and be excited, or does everyone have to wait until the second trimester even to acknowledge it?

Momincollege23

Asked by Momincollege23 at 8:17 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you are allowed to be excited now. tell your hubby to quit being an insensitive jerk!

have you miscarried before and he's trying to protect your feelings from getting hurt? in that case i could understand why he is insisting you wait to see the doctor before getting excited.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:20 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I say as soon as you find out I had 4 mcs and I tell ppl as soon as I was pregnant so I could happy and enjoy the baby/pregnancy as long as I could I'm on my 6th chils 2nd living and I'm about to meet her tomorrow so stay positive and congrats!
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 8:21 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• You can be excited whenever you want.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:22 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• You are allowed to be excited right now. Don't let hubby tell you otherwise. Maybe he's just still in shock? I know my hubby was cautiously excited until he heard the heart beat, and saw the sonogram. Then he was ecstatic.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:24 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Thank you all! This makes me feel better!
    Momincollege23

Comment by Momincollege23 (original poster) at 8:27 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• You can get excited now if you want. But You should not go buying things tell you are out of the miscarriage stage.

Let your DH wait tell he hears it from the doctor.  My DH is like that to. If a doctor does not say it, it is not true to him.

Answer by louise2 at 8:30 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Be excited when you are excited....your husband is NOT being nice.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:45 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Be excited having a baby is a wonderful thing, don't let him burst your bubble.
    nicolew_83

Answer by nicolew_83 at 9:12 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• ahh...give him a break. he is just in shock. I was in denial all through my first 12 weeks, and my 1st appoinment, until they did an ultrasound. The second I saw that little baby on the screen it hit me that I really was pregnant. It was a weird feeling. He probably hasnt really given much thought to another 1, so hes just waiting for the Dr. to tell him its real. You can be excited though!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 9:51 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I think you should be excited at anytime you want. For me it was hard to get excited because of miscarriages I had. I'm now in my 24th week and even though I'm still worried. I'm so happy.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 10:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2010