How do you do bedtime for more than one child?

I have three girls, 4, 2, and 5 months. I used to read the oldest one books and sing songs every night after a bath. Then I used to read to the older two together and sing a couple of songs after a bath. I don't read to them or sing to them together anymore because it was getting to be such a pain. They feed off of each others' energy and were getting so crazy at bedtime. It is easier and more calming to put the older two in their separate rooms. They still bathe together at night. I'd like to read to each of them, but I'm not sure how to do it. I would read to the little one first because she falls alseep faster, but I don't want the older one to feel like she is second all the time. The baby is usually content to be in her crib or held by Daddy during this time. What do you do for bedtime with more than one?

Hazelnutkin

Asked by Hazelnutkin at 8:39 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have 3 also ages 4, 21 months, and 8 months. My younger two started sharing a room as soon as the baby slept all night. My oldest has a room to herself. It makes it easier because the younger two will go to bed at the same time, and the oldest gets to stay up a little later. I don't read to them before bed anymore, I do it during the day and kind of do "circle time" lol and read books to them all together. My younger two get a bath together, then I feed the baby her night time cereal and veggie, and after that the two of them go to bed and the oldest gets a bath. We will watch her favorite cartoon after that and when it's over she goes to bed. Works for us =)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:42 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I have a 2 yr old and a 1 r old. My hubby is gone about 90% of the time, so I am basically a single mother. We bath at 7ish, then while I dress them and lotion them we watch an episode of Jack's Big Music Show or Yo Gabba Gabba. It's about 8 then and I take the baby to his room and give him his bottle and lay him down as soon as he is done drinking it. I turn Fresh Beat Band on for my 2 yr old to watch for the 7 minutes the baby takes. Then I sit with my 2 yr old and finish his show, then it's potty one last time, diaper, stories in his bed, lights out lullabye and prayer. So by 8:30 the older one is down. You just have to go down the line....sure it will get easier and more solid of a routine once the baby is a little older.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• As the oldest of 3, I look back and never did I think I was coming in second or third because my mom read to me last. It was more a saving the best for last and she would usually spend a bit more time reading to me since I was the last. I loved it and cherish that memory so don't worry about her feeling second.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:45 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Twins+, Thanks. I feel a little better about making the oldest wait.
    Hazelnutkin

Comment by Hazelnutkin (original poster) at 9:01 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Sit on couch. One kid on each side. Read story and sing songs. Kiss and hug and have them go to bed all by them selves.
    My 4 year old usually falls asleep first so I do him first then my 7 year. 2 year old is asleep before thia all begins or is up reeking havoc and not listening to story. It is hard to make time for all individually. And at night when it can go both ways, giggling so much it pisses you off or fussing so much it pisses you off. Why can't bed time go smoothly? Lol.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I actually read at night to both boys (age 5 and 3). Then they go to bed. We don't have an issue. We used to put them to bed at different times. Oldest would stay up half an hour later then the little one so he could have some more mommy time or daddy time. If DH was home then he would put them to bed.
    justme581

Answer by justme581 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My girls go to bed late... The oldest who is almost four will get in bed and fall asleep to a movie, my two year old she tells me when she's ready to go to bed or tired. If it gets to be to late, I just read her a book, and talk to her about tomorrow and how we need to get rest. And she lays down.
    lilma0608

Answer by lilma0608 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I put DS to bed for I BF, and DH puts our DD to bed. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:45 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I have 21 month old twins... I read to them before they get a bath... They really love to read and sit on either side of me on the couch.

I would also say that if it becomes routine, it won't be a big deal... she's oldest and gets to stay up latest! That's the way I would have seen it!

I think there is too much mommy guilt pushed on us these days! I know I have it like crazy sometimes! I know my mom has asked me about reading with my oldest... "you don't have special time with him each day?" Really?! When would you like that to happen?! And, I don't remember you having "special time" with each of us when we were growing up! Sorry... venting!

I think if you don't make a big deal out of it, she will see it as normal and not worry about it! GL!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 10:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I have an 8 month old and a 2 1/2 yr old, and what I do is put my 8m old down first and then my son and I have Mommy/son time (helps him to not feel like second place, but special instead) and I play my guitar for him. I play Greensleves twice through and then Braham's Lullaby twice through. The music helps relax him, although it wears off when I'm done and he perks up "Play again? Pleeeasse??" or "I want to play with you Mom!" or "I'm hungry!" etc lol but still, it helps settle him down at least for a short while. And the rule is if he starts goofing off I stop playing. Anyways try to turn it from them feeling like second place to them feeling special because they don't have to share you with the baby during this time.
    adamko84

Answer by adamko84 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 10, 2010