Physchotherapy drugs in Kids under age 6

Hi ladies! I'm working towards my special education degree. I have a report to do this month on using drugs such as Ritalin on children under the age of 6. Some aspects I'd like to hear about is if you felt pressured to put your child on it. Has there been a positive change in your child, or did you eventually take them off of it? What type of drug? Please just share your experiences with me? I'd like to get a more personal take. Thank you so much : )

shabby.chic

Asked by shabby.chic at 8:48 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Since the age of 4, we were pressured to put our son on drugs. The school counselor even told us that we should try every one of them until we found a combination that worked. I knew there was more going on than adhd. Any child that can sit still to watch a movie does NOT have adhd. True adhd can not sit still to save their life. 5 therapists, 2 dr's, 1 psychiatrist, & 3 allergists later, we found out he was highly sensitive to wheat, cow's milk, soy, eggs. We removed these from his diet and now have a normal boy. No more hyperness, aggression, inattentiveness, mood swings. Food Panel RAsT test for IgG antibodies was all he needed
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I have a nephew who has been on meds for 2 years, he is 6 now. Made a huge difference. I worked in mental health field for years before being a SAHM. I worked with special needs children as a therapist. Some of the time the drugs do help in children that young, but a lot of time it's a "quick fix". But that is my opinion. People don't look at the fact that an elementary student's mind and body aren't wired to sit in school 8 hours a day. Some teachers are great at having the kids get up and move around every 45 minutes or so, after each "subject", which is what the body and mind needs. But to answer your question in rare cases did I see things make a huge difference, because the drug is just one aspect of "helping". The biggest criteria for change is going to be consistency in dicipline, redirection, etc....this is all hard work and has to be done in the home and at school. The drugs just fix any wrong wiring in the brain.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:58 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Sure! My Gdaughter was recommend to be tested for ADHD by her Kindergarten teacher last year. She has just turned five and was the youngest in the class, so naturally she had a bit of a problem adjusting to school. The teacher separated her from the rest of the class all year, because she said she was disruptive. We took her to the Dr. and the Dr. recommended "play therapy ". We took her to that for most of the year. The diagnosis was that, yes, she was having some issues- (also her dad went away during that time, which upset her more) and that it was up to us to decide if we thought she needed medicated.

We let it go all summer and watched her. She was doing great. Played well, learned, etc. So, we asked for a teacher this year that could handle ALL types of children. She got put in a class with a terrific teacher and has never had any problems since! We are so thankful we didn't put her on the meds now.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:24 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• That said, when my child was 3, preschool teachers began telling me that I needed to put him on Ritalin. I knew that my son did not have ADHD, as I had worked as a social science researcher in the area of childhood disorders. My son has Asperger, with a strong OCD component. If I had put him on Ritalin, it would have driven him over the edge. My point is, teachers and school staff can provide a lot of insight for parents, but they should not play psychiatrist or pharmacist.

21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 9:28 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I felt TREMENDOUS pressure - pressure from teachers, counselors, psychiatrists/psychologists, my mainstream pediatrician, family members, and the "support" group CHADD - but I never did. After mounds of personal research, I never felt it was the right option for my child. I was told I should put my son on meds even AFTER I was able to rid him of his diagnosis (I treated him using a biomedical approach and were able to rid him of his ADHD diagnosis once and for all).

Good luck on your report.

FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:59 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Sorry, it was my cousins son...had my nephew on my mind. But he was on several before they found one to help. Plus then to get the right dose. I can't remember what it is. It's not ritalin. But he also had a Mobile Therapist/ Behavior Specialist Consultant come to the home 1x a week and a Therapeutic Staff Support (TSS) worker in school daily in kindergarten as well as in the home 3x a week. He had this therapy with a TSS 1yr,now attends 1st grade on his own. Furthers myexplanation that the child needs assistance more than a drug.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:06 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My son is 9 and his special ed teacher is putting the pressure on to medicate. He is having trouble making the leap to 4th grade and the level of independence and organization required even in an SDC class. We are frightened by the side effects and long term risks of methanphetamins. I refused to medicate him when he was younger because he lacked the cognitive ability and communication skills to tell us what effect any medication would have on him. It may result in him being more managable for the adults in his life, but what about the effects on him like decreased appetite, lethargy, or rise in blood pressure and risk of cardiac arrest? To me it is just so scary and requires a lot more diagnostic work up and monitoring than is usually provided.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• First let me say, that my son, now almost 11, is medicated and meds saved his life around the time he was 7 and suicidal. I am always very open about my son's medication and the fact that he attempted to harm himself because I want to remove the stigma associated with seeking mental health care for children. I know quite a few moms who will rant and rave about psychotherapeutic med use in children, but those moms, for the most part have never had a child who required serious mental health care...(con't)...

21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 9:27 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Oh, yes, and I also want to say that I agree with 2blondebabies- Meds should be used in conjunction with Cognitive-Behavioral Therapies for long term change. Meds should be one tool in the therapeutic toolbox and used to allow the child to learn and access new thought and behavioral strategies. Mostly, we need to give kids with mental health challenges compassion, which they are so often deprived of in school and society.

21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 9:32 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I've never felt pressure to medicate any of my kids. My oldest son was put on Prozac at the tender age of 18 months. This was not an easy decision for us to make. He was banging his head into the walls and on the floor. He could have seriously injured or killed himself with the amount of momentum behind it. it did sort of make him a little zombie, but the head banging stopped. He was carefully monitored the whole time he was on it and we weaned him off by the age of two. By that time the head banging on hard surfaces had stopped. He still rocked his head for awhile, but there was no impact involved at that point. So it helped tremendously. He's currently ten and has a seven year old brother. Both on on Risperdal and both have shown improvement. Next appointment we are going to look at getting them off it as well. But I have never ever been pressured into it. Both boys receive ABA, speech and OT therapies as well.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2010