How old was your child when he/she started kindergarten?

My son was 4 but made the "cut-off" date for being 5 by Sept 30. He's one of the younger kids.

kjbennett26

Asked by kjbennett26 at 9:36 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in

• My twins have and October birthday so they were 4 when they started as SC's cut off when they started school was in November. My daughter was 5 because she has a January birthday - she's one of the oldest in her group. And my youngest has a July birthday so he was also 5, but the trend now a days is to hold boys back a year so my son is actually a YOUNG male 8th grader, BUT he's more than mature enough and doesn't feel out of place because he knows we didn't hold him back just because he was a boy. (Dumb reason to keep a child out of kindergarten for a year.)
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:45 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• 5, 4, and the twins will be almost 6 because of the cut off. My 2nd dd started young too. She struggled for years, but now is at the top of her class :)
    cmorbeauty

Answer by cmorbeauty at 9:59 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My oldest was 5 when he started (June birthday) and my youngest just started this year at 4. The cut is December 31st and his birthday is December 30th. He's had a rough few weeks but things are settling in for him now. Academically he was ready, his problems come from the day being a little long for him. He gets frustrated when he can't make his hand do what his head knows to do.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 10:35 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I'm homeschooling, I started him just before he turned 4. He will be 5 next week and we are still finishing up kindergarten, but should be done in about a month. If I had put him in school I would have put him in kindergarten this year. The cut off here is November 30 I believe.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:43 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I had one at 5 and two at 6 my daughter just started pre-k they need to be 4 by Sept 30 she turned 4 Sept 18 so she will be the youngest in her class
    lilmama29113

Answer by lilmama29113 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• He is 5 1/2 and just started.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• she was a lil over 5 when she started.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• @twinsplus2more - I've heard of several parents keeping their boys back one year as well and I too never understood why. My middle dd's b-day is in August so she is one of the youngest in her class, but also one of the smartest. So glad we put her in when we did, otherwise I think she would be bored if we had waited a year.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:58 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• 5

Answer by older at 9:58 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• DD was over 5 1/2. Her bday is in early january, so is the oldest in her class besides the kids who were kept back a year. She is now in grade 2.
    DS bday is in june, so hes in the middle. Here the cutoff date is december 31st, so the year you turn 5 is the year you start.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2010