Should I end our friendship?

I recently have met a friend and at first we were getting along. We have toddler girls that are 6 months apart. My friend's little girl is such a bully! She takes my daughters drinks, food, toys, etc all the while she has her own drink, food, toy. My daughter is the younger one and reacts to her by crying out for help. It's to the point where I try to let my daughter play in our own yard and that still doesn't help! My friend has recently started to meet other Mom's and arrange playdates and is always canceling on our plans. We have met our neighbors at the same time and since, it seems like they will hardly even say hello to me. My "friend" only wants our daughters to play or us to hang out when she has no other plans. I have already talked to her about this and nothing has changed. I just needed advice on what to do about this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Relationships

• Go with the flow. She doesn't sound interested and your daughter and you need good friends. Work on getting playdates for your daughter, finding a mother's group with women you enjoy being with and who will discipline their child if they are not nice to your daughter. No reason for you to settle. As far as the neighbors go, try some one on one playdates. If they aren't interested, consider yourself better off. Don't get into competing with the other mom. She seems very good at socializing and organizing time with other mothers. Quality is better than quantity though so aim for good relationships with a few moms.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:03 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Why not contact these other mothers/neighbors and befriend them...You're not only restricted to her if there are others in the neighborhood.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I WOULD END IT WHAT IS THE POINT OF BEING STRESSED OVER IT IGNORE THE SNOB NEIGHBORS SHE MUST HAVE SAID CRAP ABOUT YOU I HAVE BEEN AROUND PEOPLE LIKE THIS IT'S JUST NOT WORTH IT IF SHE CALLS DON'T PICK UP IF YOU HAVE CALLER ID AND DON'T OPEN YOUR DOOR IF YOU RUN INTO HER SAY YOUR REAL BUSY !!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I would go to the other moms when they act like that and politely ask, "Is there something I've done to offend you?" Explain that you never meant to hurt them, and you are looking for playmates for your DD. Tell them you respect them because you know they often play with other neighbor children, and you were hoping to get some ideas from them for playdates, etc. It's worth opening the door. If you find, after the fact, that these women are just as superficial as the first "Friend", it's not worth it. Go outside your little area to the local library, park, etc., and find a different playgroup there. You can also check here on CafeMom under Mom Search, and find toddler moms in your area to meet up with. Good luck!
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2008