What temperature is too cold to hang laundry out to dry?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 10:32 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Anywhere at or below the dew point, which will vary depending on the humidity. An easier way to tell is if it's too humid. As the air cools, the relative humidity goes up. If the relative humidity is 95% but it's 9 a.m., the temperature is going up, so things should dry OK. If the relative humidity is 80% but it's currently 4 p.m., the temperature may drop enough in the next couple hours that the relative humidity will be close to 100% (dew point.)
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• You can hang clothes out year round if you want - just not while it's raining. My neighbor hangs hers out unless there's more than a foot of snow on the ground under her clothes line. Differentials in the atmosphere do make it take longer to dry sometimes, but you can line-dry year round.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I would have to say it has to be at least 75 outside for it to actualy dry.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I dont have much choice about how cold it gets and drying outside. It's what I've got. If the clothes feel a little damp when I bring them in I'll hang them up in my room to finish drying.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• When you clothes freeze rather than dry.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:20 PM on Oct. 9, 2010