Natural help for sinus pain?

I hate taking meds, especially ones that will make me sleepy. I have to be up to watch my son. I know about sinus rinses. Is there anything else that helps with sinus pain and pressure?

duckigrrl

Asked by duckigrrl at 10:36 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Health

• off of pain and gentle pressure over the sinuses promotes drainage.
    4. Get Wet. Humidify. Dryness irritates sinuses, so humidify the air and use a saline nasal spray, too.
    5. Don‘t Get Milk. Milk and wheat are big mucus boosters, so avoid them when sinusitis hits. Avoid inflammatory foods (think saturated and trans fats). Eat plant protein, omega-3 rich fish, fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and the anti-inflammatory herbs ginger and turmeric. Drink lots of water to thin mucus.
    6 Get Away (from allergens). Avoid common allergens like dust, pollen, pet dander, and mold. Install a HEPA filter to clean the air in your bedroom. A humidifier can help reduce congestion, but clean it regularly or mold and bacteria buildup can do you more harm than good. Avoid smoke, chemical fumes and alcohol too; they all swell sinus membranes.
    Hopes this helps
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I found this info when looking for help for my daughter.

1. Get Clean. You gotta flush. Rinse with saltwater twice a day to clear out irritating mucus and kill bacteria. Get a bulb syringe or neti pot (a spouted pot designed for flushing sinuses). Mix ¼ teaspoon of sea salt with 1 cup warm water, then lean over the sink, tilt your head, and let the solution stream through one nostril and flow out the other. Nasal irrigation may feel weird, but studies show that it is the #1 recommendation for sinus health. People who flush get serious relief.
    2. Get Steamed. Heat some water and add a few drops of eucalyptus, thyme oil or tea tree oil (all have antibacterial properties). Stand over the pot with a towel draped over your head and breathe the steam for 15 minutes to soothe inflamed sinuses and relieve congestion.
    3. Get Warm. Apply a warm wet washcloth to your nose, cheekbones, and eyes. Warm, moist heat takes the edge
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My sister, bless her heart has terrible issues with her sinuses for years and the best thing she has found is the "netti-pot" (sp?) You can buy them over the counter at any drug store. Hope this helps!
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 11:12 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Steamed water with vicks in it and a towel over his head. how old is he?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:49 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I live on Zyrtec D...the stuff you have to get from the pharmacist. Netti pots don't even help me anymore.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:33 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Vicks Vaporub!!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 12:46 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• sudafed & garlic pills. garlic is a natural antibiotic & anti-inflammatory. It will help reduce the swelling & pressure.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Peppermint tea! Peppermint is a natural decongestant. Eliminating dairy will help, too

Answer by rkoloms at 3:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Thank you, ladies. I'm messaging hubby with the ideas for things he needs to pick up for me since he is at work and has the car.. As soon as my son drops off for a nap (IF he takes a nap I should say, lol!) I'm gonna try a steamy shower and see if that relieves it some.
    duckigrrl

Comment by duckigrrl (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Wow, I knew garlic was good for different things, but i didnt know about this. Thank you.
    duckigrrl

Comment by duckigrrl (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2010