Considering buying a convertable infant seat as opposed to the traditional infant seat. What do you think are the main drawbacks or benifits?

The convertable seat like rear facing from 5 to 30 lbs and then you forward face it to 50 lbs.

I do like that the infant seats are portable and you dont have to disturb baby.

What do you think?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 10:43 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• It is a good idea if your baby is not that small. I had to end up buying an infant car seat because my son when he was born was 6.1 lb and after two weeks of being born came down to 5lb and he didn't safe on the car seat.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 10:50 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• *didn't look safe on the carseat.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 10:51 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I have a big one. Didn't get an infant sat with #3. Worked out pretty well for me and I found it on sale at walmart for like 60.00. Win win. The only prob is that its light gray. Lol gotta wash regularly.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I used convertible seats with both of my children. It was just my preference. I wanted something that didnt get moved around and in and out of the car, plus I prefer to hold my children rather than carry a seat.
    Crystal750

Answer by Crystal750 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It is a money saver, but I did like having the infant seat. I was not a mom who stayed home for the first few weeks, so it was nice to have the portable seat for the baby when we were running around - in and out of the car, stores, whatever. It doesn't mean I didn't hold my babies, but it was very nice not to have to put them in the grocery store baby seat carts or wake them up to move them from the car seat to the sling/carrier. And it was especially nice for my second who was born in a very cold Oct (the coldest on record in over 100 years - which for the Canadian prairies is saying something). He could be nice and warm in his seat when we'd go from the house to the car or the car to the store or where ever.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I loved our infant seat. We did have to buy a new seat when he was 1 because he outgrew the infant seat, but I loved the portability of the infant seat. I could carry my son around without having to wake him up. It was especially nice since he was born in Oct, so I wasn't having to deal with buckling him into his seat out in the cold during the winter.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 1:51 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• great question because I will not do an infant seat for the car again. I love the one that stays in the car, does not have the carrier, and can grow with your child. I say that because new studies have shown that infant car seats with the removable carrier slide off during crashes. As in every major brand failed to meet safety standards. Yet there were no recalls. The reason is the government and the manufacturing company say you as a parent a making an informed decision about your purchase. Not very informed when most parents do not realize they put their baby more at risk in an infant car seat with a removable carrier. It doesn't matter what brand you use - the carrier slides out of its holder.  So if we have another baby then one carseat that grows with us, doesn't have a removable carrier, and meets safety regulations.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I like mine but sometimes it would be nice to be able to leave him in it when he falls asleep in the car rather then get him out of the seat every time we stop somewhere.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 12:34 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I found the convertible car seat a great option. It was very easy to use and my kid fit in well. We got the Recaro Como Convertible Car Seat from the online shopping portal of aBaby.com. It’s a great one. It is very safe and has extra space around. The cushioning is also very comfortable with the right measurement for the head rest. It is very durable.
    patricawright

Answer by patricawright at 1:02 AM on Oct. 20, 2010