Temper Tantrums?

My five year old has been having out right fits. This is something new. She was usually the one that I could somewhat reason with. She will usually start when I tell her no or even if I say to wait a minute for something. I'm getting quite frusterated! Is this just part of the age? I don't remember my older ones doing this.

mochamomof3

Asked by mochamomof3 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Reminds me of the America's Funniest Video episode where the young boy was having a tamtrum and would stop when the mom left the room. He would get up and find her and throw himself on the floor and start again. This went on throughout the house. Funny to watch on my end. But the advice you're getting is correct. DO NOT REACT to the behavior and it will stop. I can remember climbling over my daughter and people would look at me. Better days are coming.
    DeeMomOfFour

Answer by DeeMomOfFour at 12:14 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Every kid don't have them I had one out 5 try the tantrum thing never give in to them or they will keep doing them she will learn to try another approach
    lilmama29113

Answer by lilmama29113 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• She'll stop when she learns that the fits don't get her what she wants. Never reward a fit.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• speak firm redirect and introduce spanking
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:07 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Ah yes, my son does this too. He is 5. When he starts up, I dump him on his bed and tell him he can come out when he's normal again. Then we talk it out. Sometimes, he'll start up and storm into his room himself. What a fun, fun age.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:18 AM on Oct. 13, 2010