Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7 Bumps

So a father has no right to "name" the baby?

My brother is getting a divorce from his very pregnant wife.... She has a boyfriend but they are sure that it is my brothers baby... My brother has come up with alot of good names and he already have a custody agreement that my brother is going to raise this baby and she is just going to have visitation a few times a year ( she is moving out of state with her new boyfriend) ......BUT she still insists that she is name the baby DayQuan... supposidly it is her boyfriends middle name. My brother doesnt want his child named that for obvious reasons ( plus the fact that we live in a small country town and I mean a little boy that will most likley have blond hair, blue eyes ( both parents do) and in a " hick town" just will have a hard time fitting in ... It is obvious she is doing it in spite but she is absolutly not kidding about it.... is there anything my brother can do ?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Answers (32)
  • I don't think legaly there anything that he can do. Just try and talk to the mother. I didn't let my daughter bio-dad name her but because haw was/is an asshole and don't deserve anything. He didn't went to the hospital to see her.

    Answer by sweetyazfl at 11:00 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

  • Can they come to a compromise? Legally it would be a mess to change it Im assuming. I would think since she's giving up custody in favor of visitation she would let your brother name him.

    Answer by duckigrrl at 11:01 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

  • His baby period. She is not even going to help raise the child then she has no right to name him. Especially not after another man. There are two ways to go about this legally. If they have an agreement then before the baby gets here let the justice system put that clause in the agreement or if she does change it. If he wants to try to work it out without the court then he needs to explain that HIS child will not bear the name of another man that is not apart of the child's life.

    Answer by Cheveyo1 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

  • Paternity test. A name change costs a few bucks. Let her name and then change it. She's only going to see kid like once a year? Shell never know. :)

    Answer by stepho345 at 11:04 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

  • I'm not sure of the legal issues around naming a child, but if he cannot get her to change her mind and she somehow does end up getting to name the baby that - have him pick out the middle name and just call him by that. I know a lot of people who go by their middle names. Or if he's the custodial parent could he not just change it legally if she does manage to name the baby that? Do both parents have to sign the forms that legally name the baby? I know here only one does - I filled out all the paperwork and my hubby didn't need to sign any of it, so I could have named our kids anything I wanted - or he could have.

    Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

  • legally he can not do anything about it and thats so sad...she is naming HIS CHILD AFTER HER NEW BOY TOYS NAME...are you fucking kidding me thats crazy, insane and i think she must be on some kind of drugs... apparently she just meet or started dating her new boy toy and is already dragging him into her child's life...what about when that relationship ends she going to keep introducing different guys...i do not understand some women i think your brother needs to seek legal advice and get more rights that put him A LOT MORE INVOLVE IN HIS CHILD LIFE...she sounds like a crazy bitch

    Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 11:09 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

  • sorry thats just my OP...

    Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 11:09 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

  • DayQuan!!! Is she dating a black person!!!!!! That name!!! Giving it to a white child is an insult!!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

  • Legally, only the mother has the right to name the child, usually we give the father a say cause we have to live with him... BUT, once the child is in his custody he MAY be able to file for a name change... Beyond that, I don't know what he could really do.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:27 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

  • It is a stupid name, but it's not an insult to give it to a white child, anon. Racist.

    Answer by Saya at 1:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.