Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get my pain clinic to give me a perscription?

before you all start bashing...last month i had alot of shots. One procedure that I had done 3 times was called Medial Lumbar Branch block. That's 6 very painful shots (3 on each side of the spine, lowback) and a 7th shot in my hip. I also had 2 sets of Trigger Point Injections. The 1st was 14 shots the next was 12 shots. I was feeling much better, but last night I pulled a muscle or something (maybe just a nerve being pinched idk) My pain is back up to where it was b4 the shots. So I'm going to call them monday. How do I say I need the prescription pain pills without sounding like I'm some kind of drug addict? I can't afford to lose my job and my bosses are getting pissed because I have to go home early or call out sometimes because of my back. Also, how do I say I need a higher dose? they usually give me lortab 5s (they stopped after my 1st trigger points). I need the 7.5s.

Answer Question

Asked by mandielynn23 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Health

Level 19 (6,641 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • If you have legitimate pain I don't see why you're stressing about it. Go see the doctor, or speak with his staff, and explain what's going on. They'll prescribe something based on your medical history and symptoms.
    You are making yourself sound like a pain med addict by the way you are worrying about it.

    Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:05 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

  • um no. i'm really worried i'm going to lose my job. i live in tennesse and there are laws here because there is so much illegal activity with perscription pain meds. and i'm on tenncare (medicaid) so they really track where you go and what perscriptions you get. I get a letter in the mail everytime i don't pick up a perscription that my insurance doesn't pay for. it's really ridiculous. i just am not sure how to word ithe question about getting a perscription and a higher dose so i can do my job with very little pain. btw my job requires me to lift up to 60 lbs and is alot of bending.

    Comment by mandielynn23 (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

  • First, if you are having back problems you do NOT need to be lifting 60 lbs or doing a lot of bending, your job is causing you the pain. Time to find a new job or find out if you can get Social Security Disability. Second, if you think you need pain killers than talk to the doctor. Explain why you need them and ask if they can up the dose. I would also have your doctor take you off of work or put restrictions on your lifting until your back heals. Your employer has to follow those restrictions and that is a federal mandate. Look into retraining programs to help you find a different career that isn't so hard on your back. Painkillers are mandated, controlled, restricted and watched by the government due to the high probablility of addiction and people selling the pain killers instead of taking them. Doctors are very cautious prescribing them.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

  • Just call and tell them you feel you need the prescription. Trust me, they will give them to you if they feel okay with that, and they won't think you're an addict. If they don't feel comfortable giving it to you, it's not like they'll tell you you're a horrible druggie - they just won't write the script.

    Have you tried other medications or natural remedies?

    Answer by WomanWitty at 12:48 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.