dinnertime craziness ....help

i have 2 babies and we live with my elderly father in law, i am having great trouble at dinnertime doing the cooking and bathing the girls and theyre crying with tiredness at my feet . its hell . my sister in law also drops in for meals after work and gets my eldest all fired up running around . this all goes on at 6 30 ish 7 pm and i feel like running out of the house. any ideas about easier meals or a better system

maymummy

Asked by maymummy at 11:41 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Well, when I know Im going to be busy i get up earlier than everyone else and throw a dinner in the crockpot and just let it cook all day. If you are interested I have A LOT OF AMAZING recipes. Also maybe get something fun for the girls to do while your are making dinner. Like a new project or play dough ot something. Good luck
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Try to give your little ones somethimg fun to do while your cooking dinner. Tell your sil not to come if she can't help you in some way, and tell hewr not to get your kids fired up right at bedtime. Give your kids baths after dinner, tell them a story and put them in bed. Then do the dishes, or have your sil do them for you.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 11:49 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• You poor thing! First, I'd tell your sister in law that if she intends to drop by she needs to WATCH the kids and not get them fired up or she needs to help with dinner or peace out, you know? In my family if someone drops by they have a job. I know that sounds terrible but even if it's just taking the little one into the bedroom to play.
    You can also try slow cooker meals and get them started early in the day so they're done by dinner time.
    Try starting a routine. I don't know your schedule but you could have your children sit down with an activity of some sort while you make dinner or maybe try giving the children "jobs or chores" to do while you're busy. They could even help you make dinner.
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 11:50 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Cook earlier, serve meals earlier - sounds like your little ones are over-tired, over-hungry by that point - cook at 4:30 so you can serve the meal by 5:30-6 at the latest. Bathe them after they've finished eating, when their tummies are full and they're happy. And yes - tell your SIL that if she's going to stop she needs to help, not rile kids up. But seriously, doing it all earlier will be the biggest thing, especially since you say your kid are crying with tiredness at your feet while you cook.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and if you absolutely cannot cook or serve a meal earlier - put them down for naps, and give them a snack when they wake up. And still keep bath time for AFTER meal time, not during or while you're cooking.
    Anonymous