What is your favorite puppy/dog training book?

We have rescued 2 dogs from various no-kill shelters in our area and I am trying to find a good book to train them

Our one dog is female rotteweiller/golden retreiver mix. SHe is a gentle giant. However she was kept in a small crate with 5 other big dogs for at least the first 3 months of her life (not once let out from what we know). She is afraid of people, so those obedience classes at PetSmart, etc just make her anxious and scared.

The second one we rescued was abananded in a foreclosed house. He is a collie-terrior mix. FULL of energy and he jumps on on everyone including kids.

Any help with a good book that might cover these issues would be wonderful

Thanks in advance...

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 7:48 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Pets

• I would ask at Petsmart or your vet if they know of any trainers that can do one on one time with your dogs. It is awesome that you rescued them, but it will be quite a process to train them for your home now and it may take an expert who has the time. And that collie-terrier mix, whoo! Those are two high energy breeds to begin with, what a ball of energy that must be, but fun too I bet!! Good luck and good for you for rescuing dogs in need!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 10:15 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• THanks... He is a blast. Both dogs repsond to my 6 yr old daughter amazingly well. Just since I wrote this, she has taught them to sit, and lay down... Maybe she is the next dog whisperer.. lol
    Thanks again
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2008