breastfeeding in public

im a breastfeeding mother but when i have to feed in public (although covered with a breastfeeding cape) i feel strange and uncomfortable. is this normal?

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 11:52 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Health

• I never breastfed in public because I never felt comfortable enough to do it...although I commend those who are brave enough to. You probably feel uncomfortable because of stupid bitches like the anon. on the first page who have their minds warped by society and the media that breasts are only sex objects and nothing more. Moms have errands to run and babies have to eat. Sometimes you can't feed your child before you have to go somewhere, and sometimes even if you do, your baby will get hungry again while your out. And MANY breastfed babies won't drink from bottles. My son refused! Please tell me what you are supposed to do in that situation? So BF mothers should be confined to the house because they are feeding their child is the best and most natural way that God intended, but FF mothers can do as they please because no one has to witness their child eating from a breast? Its BS. YOU GO GIRL!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• You probably feel uncomfortable due to some people's reaction. It is amazing how something so normal and natural can be frowned upon but others, such as women who are basically walking around naked, is acceptable.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Yes it is normal. Because of the way society makes us feel about it.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I never felt awkward for a second... That said, I wouldn't feel awkward if I was sitting there topless. I don't see the human body as shameful or awkward or something which should be hidden in any way... And when it came to feeding my kids, there was no way I was even going to notice someone else being there... I mean, seriously, if someone doesn't like it they don't have to look...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:58 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Because of the way society makes us feel about it.

And that is absolutely disgusting! If anything we should be building people up for nursing and being open with their bodies... But because we insist on only seeing the human body as dirty and shameful we push this idea on anyone who is even trying to do what is best for their kid... Seriously... I'm moving to Africa where I don't even need a damn shirt! (okay, maybe not, I hate the sun, but the point is the there.) The human body and it's natural functions are NOTHING to be ashamed of... Remember to teach your children that and save the next generation from this crap!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Yes but after a while I didn't care. Some people told me to go in the bathroom and do it, I just say, "Why don't you go in the bathroom and eat?"
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I used to feel that way but I slowly got over it. Babies gotta eat and my children refused bottle. If someone stared I would look at them and ask if there was a problem. What are you staring at? The baby is my 1st priority. I couldn't care less anymore if they're uncomfortable. Don't like it then don't look.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I always feel akward... everyone always looks and gives dirty looks. It doesnt help that my daughter HATES to be covered!!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It gets better with time.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Anon - Being stupid and bitchy online is Wrong Too... why don't you go pump something and get over your archaic views of the human body!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2010