At what age is it ok to start spanking? Is it ever ok? And why do you feel this way?

I've seen moms of very young kids spanking them. I don't want to judge but kinda get into the mind of. My question came about because my caousin spanked my godson infront of me he is under two. It wasn't harsh or anything, but I have one under two and I can't imagine spanking her, actually ever. So what are the reasons you decided to spank, or not to, and at what age?

ednaamelia

Asked by ednaamelia at 11:54 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• i spank both my kids when needed.. one is 13 months the other is 4.. everyone raises they're kids different.. everyone also has different opinions on spanking..
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• i dont spank i simply decipline with reinforcement. I talk to my daughter and put her in timeout. hiting a child teaches nothing
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 12:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I don't think it is ok or effective, you do not teach with violent behavior and you do not want kids to be afraid of you....

Answer by older at 12:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I feel you shouldnt spank at all. Because once you start that I believe it teaches a child that it is ok to hit. You dont want that to happen so dont do it yourself. My children are all older now and if i wouldve thought that way when they were younger i probably wouldnt have had problems that i had later inlife. But as i got older i have become non the less wiser.
    apiegurl

Answer by apiegurl at 12:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I do spank. I never wanted to and I can't remember why I chose to. I know that when she didn't listen to my words and ran out in the middle of the parking lot when a car was coming she definately got a spanking. It wasn't harsh but it was enough to get the point across and she hasn't run out in the parking lot since.
    My dad used to spank us with a belt and where I will never do that, I didn't turn out bad. I think if you choose to spank, you should do it only when necessary.
    And remember that there is spanking and then there is abuse.
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 12:03 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• And there is also a very fine line between spanking and abuse....

Answer by older at 12:07 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Spanking is punishment not discipline and a bully mentality that only teaches kids to fear the adult and learns that hitting is ok. So NO, spanking should never be used. My philosophy is that if you can't outsmart a little kid by thinking of an effective way to discipline (without hitting) then you should either educate yourself or not have children.
    Anonymous

• i dont know exactly when i started spanking but we have always been strict on our kid, so they mostly listen the only time they get spanked is if they trow themselves or scream at us or just plain be bad and need to understand they dont do that. we give them a chance to get a talking to but if they do it again then we have to take matters into our own hands..screw if people think im a bad mom, my kids are mostly well behave and very respectful so whatever
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Either you believe that hitting is an appropriate way to solve problems, or you don't.

We chose to not send that message to our child

Answer by rkoloms at 3:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I don't endorse spanking of any child at any age. I think this way because the message is clear about what children learn from spanking. Many people wonder how a child will learn limits, boundaries, respect when spanking is not used. How does a child learn not to go in the road, even at age two, unless spanked? We simply told our child to not go in the street. We explained why. Problem solved. Of course we also provide appropriate supervision.....so that helps. There isn't any age where I believe hitting your child is the correct way to teach and correct a poor choice. I don't bully my child into complience. I teach him how to make better choices, how to problem solve, and respect other people, their belongings, and personal space. And no, my son is not a spoiled brat. He is a normal child who makes normal age appropriate decisions - good and bad. When it is a poor choice we respond to it as appropriate.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2010