When can you start using baby lotions?

When I was leaving the hospital with the baby they told me not to use any lotions, creams, oils, etc. on my baby. How long are you supposed to hold off for? My baby is almost 6 weeks old.

beck_9808

Asked by beck_9808 at 8:10 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YOU KNOW, I'VE USED IT SINCE THE DAY I BROUGHT HER HOME. THEY DIDN'T TELL ME NOT TO. I THINK BY NOW YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE LOTIONS OR OILS AS LONG AS THEY ARE FOR BABIES.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 8:16 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• they gave me Johnson's baby lotion to use on her in the hospital - I think it should be fine
    tmcewen

Answer by tmcewen at 8:28 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• you can use that stuff from day 1. ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:52 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• We started on day one too.
    Debbie062008

Answer by Debbie062008 at 9:09 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• We also used it from day one. If you want to use lotion but are scared, then try using Aveeno...it's dye free and fragrance free...my kids were sensitive to regular lotion.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:24 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I started using baby lotions since there first bath
    moviestartaal

Answer by moviestartaal at 9:27 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• yeah,it can be used from day one. they give samples of it in the hospital. i would watch for any reactions from your baby though. if you see anything abnormal,try using a fragrance free version of baby lotion for sensitive skin. hope this helps!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 9:27 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• That's stupid for them to tell you that. HOWEVER I hate all the chemicals in baby lotions. So when their skin is dry, I use pure coconut oil - its a great moisturizer - you can find cans of it at super walmart along with the Lard and other solid fats.
    dovetailthreads

Answer by dovetailthreads at 9:32 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• They may have told you that becuase of an allergy or sensitivty. Check with you doctor first. Or call the hospital and have them check the chart to see why they said it. And look for lotions for sensitive skin that are dye and fragrance free. You can find plenty of variety right at Wal-Mart or Target. I used the Aveeno one when my guy was realy little just to make sure he wasn't sensitive to anything and it did a great job.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I wasn't told anything but I do it anyways. He hasn't had a problem with anything I have put on him.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 26, 2008