How do you handle a situation when your 3 yr old cry's because they can't get their way?

I have a 3 year old daughter who throws a fit when she can't have what she wants now. I tried explaining to her that she has to be patient. If she continues to cry I put her in a time out. When she stops crying I tell her that you can't have what you want right away, that things don't work that way. Any sugestions? I haven't seen much improvement.

Thanks in advance

barchambeau2

Asked by barchambeau2 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ignore them. Let them pout in a corner or something and ave them throw their fit.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• You don't acknowledge the crying and when she realizes it is not working she will stop...

Answer by older at 12:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I send my kids to their room when they do that. I simply tell them - mom said no, if you're gonna cry, go to your room so I don't have to hear it... When they are finished, they can come out and go about their day.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• yea just ignore it and if you have another child play the o look your sis/bro isn't throwing a fit maybe she should get a treat or sticker because he/she is being patient.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 12:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I agree with older....IGNORE

you cant explain to a 3 year old about patients. You just cant....the concept is beyond them and so is reasoning and logic.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:35 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• learn to block it out if you give in she will contiunue doing this everytime she wandts something
    YUMMYNANA25152

Answer by YUMMYNANA25152 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I'm with Sabrina. I tell my kids that if they are going to cry, they can go to their rooms and can come out when they are done.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Go to your happy place and ignore them. Theyll be alright. And sooner or later this too will pass.
    Vmahoney

Answer by Vmahoney at 12:42 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• ignore, but in our house if they cry they go into their room until they stop, and tell them they cant get what they want unless they are good but even in that case its not automatic
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• it's a phase...just ignore it
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2010