Why do we Always Judge People by Their Looks?

I was at a bar w/my S/O & everyone made fun of this, I must say, really wierd guy, ( wore a wig and a few other odd ways) even the bartenders. People would even get up and move away from him and laugh and talk about him when they did. One night I said to my S/O I'm sitting next to him, & if he's nice to me I'm talking to him, I just can't be rude just bec everyone else is. He WAS very nice, all 3 of us chatted and we all eventually left. Another night we were all there & he bought us drinks, & again we went & sat w/ him. We didn't become personal friends w/him per say, but as a friendly person at that bar, he did turn out to be a friend. We hadn't been there in quite a while and the last few times he wasn't there, and believe it or not, we both are wondering, "is he ok?" Why do people judge when people can't help the way GOD created them?

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Society can be very shallow. It's very easy to get the wrong impression going by looks alone, and people have missed out on meeting interesting people because of it.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 1:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Because it's what we notice FIRST. First impression thing. We can't help it. Looks do matter, as much as people will say they don't. And honestly, in a bar? Yes, looks DO matter.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Because people are used to thinking that it's the way "Society thinks" and that's the only way to think. I personally find that most people in the world, seem to go by the standards of "it's not normal in society" to act, or look, or represent yourself in a bad light. Or, any light that is not ruled by society. I am like you, i don't judge people..I instead believe that everyone has a story of why they are like that. And i personally give them the "Benefit of the doubt".....Always!.....So, good for you, for being such a good person!

gogogirl79

Answer by gogogirl79 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• bumped you, but looks can be very deceiving!

Answer by older at 1:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• like the other woman said- it's about society. that's what americans are trained to do from birth practically- see what is like you, what's not like you, and then judge it. i'm a sociology major and currently taking several classes on minority groups (as if i don't have enough personal experience lol) and it's etrocious what goes on and for centuries what's gone on- all because people are "different". the interesting thing is wondering who is the one who predetermines what our "norms" are, and then therefore what doesn't fit them. it's sad and props to you for going against it all and talking to that guy at the bar. definitely something i would do!!
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Unfortunately this is the way this society operates, first impressions that include looks as a number one....

• society is cruel. My son was wounded my and IED in Afghanistan and his face received burns and one of his front teeth is missing. My son had perfect teeth and was GQ good looking. He is 6'4" 205lbs and extremely fit. It bothered me a lot when he came home and I noticed that people were looking at him, not because he is attractive like he use to be. I so wanted to yell at those people and show them what he use to look like. but you know what, my son does not care what other people think. I never judge people on how they look, maybe how they smell, but never how they look.
    Bagofwind

Answer by Bagofwind at 4:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I don't know why people are so judgemental. I've got to say I am guilty of this. I am very opionated but not rude to say it to the person or in a way that they know I'm talking/degrading them. I might say to the other person I'm with like: wow, that's an odd or scary hair do. I think people just don't respect the differences that we all have. Everone thinks all humans should be in the norm, while have of the time the person has no choice to be in the norm or not.
    lilma0608

Answer by lilma0608 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It's not just society but human biology. Spilt second decisions on whither or not this person is friend or foe, mate material or not. Basic biology at work on a most basic level in first impressions. Afterwards, social norms kick in, and eventually critical thinking and compassion if a person was raised with those skills. We judge people because it is safer to do so to avoid potentially dangerous situations. Ridicule is often used to reach conformity, as it is often the different one, the one who stands out that attracts the predators to the herd. Our most basic instincts are still based in survival, even if those instincts are now adapted for social situations.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 2:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2010