What can cause lactation to start back up?

I breastfed my daughter for the first 2.5 months. I had been fighting with it for a month before I stopped to keep it going. I dried up completely a month after I stopped. (My husband "tested" several times.) Here it is 4 months later and I have started putting out a clear discharge similar to late in my pregnancy when I first started leaking. I have taken a home pregnancy test and it was negative. Is there anything else that would cause me to start lactating again or should I assume that I need to wait a couple weeks and retest?

Angelie04

Asked by Angelie04 at 2:02 AM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Health

• I honestly think I am pregnant though. I keep developing more symptoms. My first pregnancy didn't show up on a pregnancy test until I was 9 weeks, and I started leaking when I was 10 weeks. I've heard that things happen sooner on consecutive pregnancies than on the first one. I'm not on any medications. I'm not dehydrated or depressed. I drink about 6 bottles of water a day. Other than going pee alot, exhaustion, neasea, headaches, and my breasts leaking....I am perfectly healthy. Also a friend of mine just found out she is pregnant for the second time (she's 5 weeks) and she has also already started leaking a little too. In her first pregnancy she was producing actual milk by the time she was 6 months. Thank you to all that answered though you have given me ideas as to what it might be if I am not in fact pregnant.
    Angelie04

Answer by Angelie04 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I would ask your doc but for me it was hyperprolactenemia(sp?) caused galactorhea. A problem with my pituatary but can be a symptom of a thyroid problem as well. I was lactating before I was ever pregnant.
    Roxanne0607

Answer by Roxanne0607 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• What kind of doctor would I go to? Just a regular family doctor or ob/gyn?
    Angelie04

Answer by Angelie04 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• You wouldn't be leaking already if you were pregnant again, as you don't begin producing colostrum until the second trimester (and you'd know if you were that far alone I would assume). I would just take this opportunity to see if you can get your little one back to breast, if that's what you want. Otherwise don't worry about it and it will dry back up. However if you continue with this liquid for a couple of weeks without breastfeeding talk to your doctor about it to rule out it being anything besides colostrum.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 10:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• an endo,
    after I answered this I was reading a magazine and this woman said she had leakage and they answered-some drugs, including certain antidepressants and common heartburn and peptic ulcer meds, cause the brain's anterior pituitary gland to secrete more prolactin, the key hormone involved in milk production. and the mild dehydration that is so common in the summer months makes this effect even more pronounced since dehydration triggers what's called stress induced prolactin release. to reduce the discharge, drink at least 64 oz. of water daily and talk to your doctor about lowering any heartburn medication(as well as rule out other possible, causes of the discharge)First magazine 7/21/2008 page 102
    Didnt know if this would help but thought I would add it.
    Roxanne0607

Answer by Roxanne0607 at 1:12 AM on Jul. 4, 2008