Are you on foodstamps? (This isn't meant to bash anyone.)

Are you ashamed of it or just relieved that you can provide for your family somehow?

I just got on foodstamps. I have never been on wellfare before in my entire life, but I'm not ashamed that I'm doing whatever I can to provide for my family. Until I finish school and can find a descent enough job, this is the best way for me to do it.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 1:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• im on them.. got on them after i left my husband (he was cheating) and i needed a way to get my kids fed someway. it really helps.
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Yes I was and I realized it had to be I started on welfare worked my way off and ended up back on welfare after my son got cancer. Its no big deal.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I am getting food stamps. Just started and get $200/month. Just for ME!...I love them, in fact i love grocery shopping for food that i can't normally buy. But, also try to make them last and use them wisely....It's great, i love them!....just look at it as...FREE FOOD, and you get to pick!........LOL
    gogogirl79

Answer by gogogirl79 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• No but we do have WIC and I always feel horrible like I am holding up the grocery line! I enjoy the help with the cost of food though. That little bit makes a huge difference.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:34 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I just got on them too. Its not much but every little bit helps. Until I finish school in December I will have them.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 1:37 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• we do, I think it helps us alot because my son has allergies and foods he can eat are not cheap! We buy in bulk at a bucthers and try to make huge meals we can reheat. It still doesnt buy us enough food for a month, but we dont buy exspensive stuff either and I still use coupons etc. I hate how everyone always asks me credit or debit though and I have to explain its food stamps. I wish you could just swip the card. Most people are nice, but you get the few that look at you like you are the trash of the earth. I cant work because of my son's health problems and we really cant get buy with out them.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 1:38 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• yes im on food stamps an im not ashamed been on them since i moedout of my parents
    Tryingforbaby1

Answer by Tryingforbaby1 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• We're on them. We've been on them for two years now. Not ashamed/embarrassed one bit. We have both worked and put into the "system". I now stay at home with our kids but hubby still works and is still paying in. So, we aren't really getting it all for "free".
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 2:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Actually, I just found out that we qualified for food stamps and medicaid from when we applied in May. Because our case fell through the cracks, and we actually qualified back in May, they put several months worth on our card this week. I'm also up for reapplication, but I won't re-apply because what I have now is more than enough to help get us through until dh gets a job. I am not ashamed. I will feel a little weird the first time I use the card, but we've been living off of very little all summer and it will be nice to have a real decent meal.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I don't qualify, but I think if someone does it is nothing to be ashamed of, everyone needs help sometime.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 9, 2010