Did your child's elementary school cancel Halloween?

My youngest son's elementary school sent home a memo cancelling all Halloween parties this year and no costumes? No, reason given. I volunteer at the school on Friday's and am debating on whether to bring in goody bags and treats for the kids. It is a public school and I think it is wrong for no party. What do you think?

Bagofwind

Asked by Bagofwind at 1:41 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Holy cow---no they haven't.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• you probably answered the question yourself. It's a public school, and more and more people from all angles are having issues with the whole Halloween process. Witches being put in a bad light, people not liking certain types of costumes,
    sound like more and more schools are giving up on things like this.
    when I went to school we always had a school carnival. Then one day we got a memo saying that there wasn't enough help for it, then the same memo next year.
    When the principal was asked how much help was needed, no answer was really given.
    turned out he just didn't want to do it anymore.

The school probably just doesn't want to deal with it all, so they stop doing it.
    I can see all angels, and the way that so much of this is getting so complicated my guess is that most all things like the holiday parties are next in line for the axe.

Anonymous

• Our school allows it. No mask no face paint and costumes should be able to be worn comfortably during recess and PE. Parties are up to the teacher. Our class is not having one but parents are allowed to send in goody bags if they want to be sent home.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My son's school stopped Halloween parties before the year before he entered kindergarten. They claimed it was a safety issue to have a party with kids in different costumes and parenting coming in to help. It was too difficult to keep track of the kids when they were dressed up.
    They still have a "Fall Harvest" party. They have snacks and games, but they can not dress up.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I've never come across a school that has halloween parties. Our school sure doesn't. I see nothing wrong with it - cancelling, that is. I wouldn't bring stuff, that could turn ugly.
    Anonymous

• My grandkids go to public schools....they had Halloween parties in grade school.
    WHat is so controversial about that?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• thanks for you input. I live a a very small community in Idaho and the school administration is getting a GOD complex. I am just sick and tired of the administration and teachers deciding that they just don't want to put in the effort. The parents in this school are very involved and it doesn't cost the school any funds. It just makes me sad that my youngest child will not have those memories that I have and that my 2 older sons have.
    Bagofwind

Comment by Bagofwind (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• no, military makes it fun :)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Here we still do dress up but they dress up as a Storybook character. Nothing scary is allowed. Since it is elementary, I can understand.
    But to cancel the whole thing is ridiculous.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 8:06 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It could be along the same reasoning that is making many public schools go to uniforms. They just dont want anyone feeling left out or putting additional financial burdens on parents.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 9, 2010