Is 2 years old to young to put my child in a preschool program?

My daughter had a lot of energy and she is usually home with me and we go shopping and to the park and do activities at home. But lately I think she needs to socialize more with kids her age because when we go to the park she runs up to any kid that pays her attention and yells " Hi kids..i'm melanie" she gets lots of attention at home! But we were thinking of putting her in a preschool program for kids 1 to 3 but a lot of ppl tell me she is too young.

CathyLuv

Asked by CathyLuv at 2:03 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I always think its good for children to socialize without their parents around. At 2 children still accept their teachers to give them options (like you can play with blocks or look at books). If you wait until 'prek' to put them in school some children have a harder time adapting and know there are more than the two options the teacher gave them. More important than when you put them in is what program they go into. ALWAYS make sure they allow you to 'drop in' at anytime and that they can give you a clear idea as to what they are doing everyday and their expectations of the children.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 2:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• If you think she's ready for that, then by all means YES. I feel they are never too young to start learning. It will also give her the kind of structure that she needs to have in the learning environment.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I started my oldest at just over 2 years of age...shes been doing well, and LOVES her preschool. I dont think there are any negitive things that could happen as far as academics or socialization goes from starting your child at that age. Good luck to you both!
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Observe the class and see if you think she would fit in. Since you are home, it probably not be more than 2 or 3 half days a week.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It wouldn't be a "preschool" program, but a toddler program. Same basic thing. Make sure the day care center you are sending her to has the structure you are looking for. When I worked at a couple Kinder Care Learning Centers there were 2 circle times, an art activity, structured play, etc every day. The lesson plans all had a theme for the day, the week, and over all for the month.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• If you find one that takes at 2 years. A daycare would be fine, they teach as well.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2010