• In the Spotlight:

How do I break the habit of my son going to bed with a bottle?

I don't need any critizing.
My son just turned a year old, and he has gone to bed with a bottle since birth. I knew it wasn't a good thing to do but I did it anyway. He's never had a lovely, never cared for it... his personality is one where he feels the urge to keep moving until he falls asleep, that'swhy the bottle worked so well. I think he gets it from me... I'm the one that's always shaking their leg for no reason.. Anyway I want to start taking him out of this bad habit, so where do I start?

candiH

Asked by candiH at 9:44 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You could try giving him less and less in the bottle each night. Is he on milk now or still formula? If formula, start replacing the formula with milk. If you need to make sure his tummy will be full for the night, you can make sure to give him an after dinner snack, or sippy cup with milk, but before its time for him to lay down. You could also do other night time routines, story time, a bath, the same music every night. Whatever you do, if you are making him change, it will be hard, but stick with it and he will get used to it. And worse case, if he needs that botle to sleep for a couple more months, no big deal. You have to do what you need to to get enough sleep, too.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Start by just "forgetting" that he uses it. Introduce something else. You know that its not good for dental hygiene so, try to sway him to something else.don't offer it to him, give him a cup of something else instead. If he wants a bottle and cries about it, put just water in it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I honestly don't know what to say but maybe give him the bottle an hour before he goes to bed. If you keep giving him the bottle at bed time it can ruin his baby teeth. I have a friend who did that and she has 6 kids and didn't know the damage it could do until it was to late. Her 3 year old has no front teeth now until his permanent teeth come in
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 9:55 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• chillemi78
    You are SO SMART! I honestly didn't think about him being hungry before he went to bed... OMG That's just amazing... maybe if I do give him a snack before bed he will be fine!!! He eats alot during the day... I guess he just has a big tummy!
    oh and he is still on formula, I'm introducing milk to him.
    candiH

Answer by candiH at 10:00 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• My daughter is the same. She soothes herself with movement, including sucking. She has a lovey but still gets a bottle. I just switched it to water and figured I'd wait until she was old enough to understand the "bottle fairy" concept. She is 27 months now and still gets her bottle of water at naptime and bedtime. I have no problem with that. We are potty training right now and then I will probably be moving her to a big girl bed. After that, I think the bottle fairy will be coming to take the bottles away.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Try giving just water our denist said as long as we give nothing but water that it was ok my son is 19 mths a drinks from a bottle all night long so don't feel bad.
    lizzy021604

Answer by lizzy021604 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Don't feel bad i did the same thing with my daughter. She just stopped when she was 18 months old with the bottle at night. She still wanted water at night those so we found some cheap sippy cups and gave her one at night. Thats all the cup is used for is water at night. I don't really have any suggestions other then maybe trading the bottle out for the cup. or do what chillemi78 suggested. Good Luck
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 5:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2008