Stay at Home Mom's role.

Do you think that the person supporting you (husband/boyfriend)needs to help out around the house too? Laundry, cleaning, dihes...etc.

lilma0608

Asked by lilma0608 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• No, his job is to bring in the money, my job is to take care of the house and children. He did take care of the cars and mowing, and a few chores such as the trash and the litter boxes, but where I could sit down and rest for few minutes when the children napped, my husband worked steadily long hours. I tried to make his life at home as comfortable as possible.

Answer by Bmat at 2:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• When I was a stay at home mom, I didn't mind doing the bulk of the housework. What annoyed me was my ex husbands attitude that I was a maid. It annoyed me that he would not put his dishes in the sink, throw his clothing in the hamper and refuse to take out the trash when he noticed it was full. If he was going down to the basement and I said "Hey, while you are down there, could you please put the laundry that I put in the washer in the dryer?" He would refuse.
    When ever I tried to talk to him about it, I would get "Hey, I work for a living and it's YOUR job to take care of the house and kids". It annoyed me because I felt that taking your cup to the sink was a common courtesy as is throwing your socks in the hamper instead of just leaving them on the floor.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• my dh has to take out the trash and help with the kids so i can get a break... he also cooks meals sometimes on the weekends but he enjoys doing that too. i have plenty of time during the day being a SAHM to take care of laundry/dishes/cleaning that he shouldn't need to come home and do it, i do appreciate when he helps do big cleaning on the weekends (mopping the floors cause i HATE doing it and he can get it cleaner then me anyways) but its not like i expect him to do it often. There needs to be a balance though because being a SAHM doesn't mean you should be a made and a cook and a chauffer and personal assistant and EVERYTHING else too, kwim? :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 2:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• dh has a job..i don't expect him to come home and do mine...that being said, dh does have a few things that i ask him to do which is: take out the trash, take his dishes to the sink, put away his clothes (he does this anyway), tell me when he needs clothes washed (bc i don't think to look and see what he has clean and how much of it), and throw his dang dry cleaning bag away! (which he doesn't!) lol

mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 2:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• i don't consider these things too hard for him to do, whereas coming home and sweeping/mopping, cooking dinner, etc would be after a long day...and it's not every day that he has to do these things, other than taking his dishes to the sink
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 2:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Just with the kids, if they are theirs.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• If you need help, then yes.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 2:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• that was supposed to say be a *maid not made :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 3:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• See and I feel the same way. That I can do the majority of the cleaning and laundry, but I feel like he doesn't respect on how hard I work to take care of the kids and keep a clean house. He leaves EVERYTHING out in the bathroom EVERY morning! Toothbrush on sink, toothpaste out and cap off, razor and whiskers still in the damn sink, boxers on the floor, clothes from the previous day by the couch, when he eats he'll leave it where he ate it or just throw it in the sink sometimes, he'll leave juice or milk out and leave the cap next to it! Grrrr
    lilma0608

Comment by lilma0608 (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My job is to take care of everything inside the house, his is to take care of everything outside. (unless something inside the house needs fixing) He works long hours when he is home I want him to be able to relax and enjoy time with us, not cleaning. I have plenty of time during the day to get things done.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 3:36 PM on Oct. 9, 2010