thought there was something wrong with the kids' hearing, turns out the hear just fine but still cant listen.

Yours?

stepho345

Asked by stepho345 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I thought that was just mine. Come to find out that they have a way of only hearing what they want to hear. I wish at times I could tune things out as well. But I haven't learned that trait. I would like to tune out all their arguing and fits.
    mfields13

Answer by mfields13 at 7:06 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Been there, done that, LOL. My child was in EIC and they were so worried he couldn't hear. I kept telling them his hearing was fine, it was just selective. Had his hearing tested and sure enough he heard just fine.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I am glad to hear that their hearing is fine. I hope the listening part comes in time. My younger son has hearing loss, so far he gets along OK without a hearing aid.

Answer by Bmat at 2:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• i have the same problem with my 1 yr old he can hear u but just wont give u hes full attention the hear doctor said it selective hear it should grow out of him i hope . lol
    Tabby505

Answer by Tabby505 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• my oldest dd is in Speech Therapy and i SWEAR its because she can't hear certain sounds but she's been tested multiple times and they keep telling me she hears just fine, she always has to turn up the tv or radio at home though too :-/ my kids don't listen either but hey they're kids and that's what they do :P it helps if mom has a good strong 'yelling' voice ;-) lol
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 2:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It's called selective hearing. When my kids went through that phase, after I spoke I'd hold their face in my hands, stare them directly in the eyes, and say, "what did I just say?" Not threatening at all, I only wanted them to repeat the words I spoke, maybe in their own words. It helps them to develop active listening skills.

Now that my kids are older, I sometimes do ask, "what did I just say?" but without cupping their face in my hands. I want to hear them repeat back to me so I am sure they understood what I said.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 3:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I have 3 children, boy 12, girl 8 and girl 3. Believe me I understand the selective hearing, however it is not always the case. If it continues to be a problem i would suggest having the child tested for and SLD(specific learning disability). My 12 hear boy is very much the selective listener. My 8 year old girl was the same way I thought, but when issues that appeared to be unrelated to listening surfaced I had her tested. She was diagnosed with Auditory Processing Disorder specific to long term and short term memory. What can look like not listening or like ADD is often APD. Getting the diagnosis and having therapy have made all the difference in the world. One thing that helps both cases is to give directions is short sentences. Also, shouting makes both tune you out. I suggest reading "The Secrets of the Third Pig" by Dr. Messenger
    Rhonda4199

Answer by Rhonda4199 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I was always in trouble for not listening as a kid. My hearing was tested and it was fine. Then when I became an adult I was retested, my hearing is perfect BUT I can't hear with background noise!
    It's a big problem for many many people. You think your child isn't listening but in fact just the sound of the fan over the stove can drown you out completely. My husband and I have started an entirely new way of communicating since this was discovered.
    First he says my name and makes sure I'm looking at his face before he starts talking to me. Now I know when he's going to be home late and if there is background noise even the trickle of the water, we both know there is no way I'm even going to hear my name let alone that he'll be back in 5 minutes.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 8:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2010