Parents of three or more children... do you buy your children the same amount of gifts or spend the same amount of money on each?

I am the mother of three children ages six, nine, and twelve. I am just wondering how other families do Christmas shopping with more than one child. Do you buy the children the same amount of gifts, spend the same amount of money, or neither... please explain how you shop for the holidays?

jlemaycox

Asked by jlemaycox at 10:30 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Shopping

• Usually SPEND the same amount as the things my oldest wants are normally more expensive than what my other two want. (b12, g8, b6)
    praisinghim2day

Answer by praisinghim2day at 3:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I used to then realized it was getting out of control. Now I don't buy gifts for holidays. I created memories now. I bake or play ball or board games or whatever the child (now grandkids) wants to do instead of competing for getting them the best games or whatever else I can't afford. This way I get satisfaction of spending quality time with each and they will always remember the time when.... So far, no complaints.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Yes I used to spend the same amount on my kids and neices and nephews. Do to everyone having money problems we stop buying for neices and nephews. My kids are older and I will just give them some money this year. Less gifts and more family time.
    maryhlangley

Answer by maryhlangley at 1:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I aim for close to the same number. My older 2 are almost 8 & 9 1/2. They would notice if there was a huge difference in the amount of gifts. My 22 month old thinks everyone should just let her open their gifts lol. She has a birthday on 12/22 so she ends up on gift overload when it is all done.
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 1:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Since money is tight I am buying each child a big gift and then one big family gift.I used to have to shop for about twenty people and know only for my kids my husband and his immediate family something small thank god I don't talk to my dad's side of the family anynore I would really go broke.
    monica277

Answer by monica277 at 5:52 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• We do the same number of gifts , our younger kids are still young and don't completely understand the amount of money and stuff like that so to them they would consider it unfair
    MOMMAof5_

Answer by MOMMAof5_ at 5:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2008