Parents of more than one child: Do you buy your children the same amount of gifts or spend the same amount on them at Christmas?

I am the mother of three children ages six, nine, and twelve. I am just wondering how other families do Christmas shopping with more than one child. Do you buy the children the same amount of gifts, spend the same amount of money, or neither... please explain how you shop for the holidays?

jlemaycox

Asked by jlemaycox at 10:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in General Parenting

• We have 2 children & we did both. We made sure they had the same number of gifts & spent the same amount of money on both of them. They always got the "big" gift & then a bunch of other gifts. A fun thing we did, was  instead of putting their names on the gifts, I assigned them different names (i.e. Dancer, Prancer, Sleepy, Dopey). They really enjoyed trying to figure out who was who. On Christmas Eve they were always allowed to open one gift, so this is when they found out who they were. They still enjoy this at 25 and 26!

Have a wonderful holiday and make lots of amazing memories!

God Bless,

~De Ann

Ladysiri

Answer by Ladysiri at 2:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• THIS YEAR I WON'T BECAUSE MY OLDEST IS 8 AND MY BABY IS 7 MONTHS, BUT NEXT YEAR OR WHENEVER SHE IS OLD ENOUGH TO CARE I PLAN TO EVEN IT OUT.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 10:33 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I try to buy them the same amount of presents occasionally my daughter will get a couple more because my son will get some from his BM family. I try to keep it as evenly priced as I can I think it's easier to do that when they are close in age as my two are.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 10:35 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I really try to even out the number of gifts and the dollar amount I spend on them. This year I will be spending only $150 on each boy. It's hard sometimes to get the same number of gifts though since the gifts my almost 4 year old likes are more expensive. Also, my older son, his Birthday is only 2 days before Christmas, so he gets presents twice in one week.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 10:47 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I try to keep it even too, but my younger sons birthday is 2we after christmas so I always have to make sure I have plenty of $ for his b-day.
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 10:54 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I am still debating this myself. My kids are young, and while they are young I think its more about having the "same" amount of gifts to open. I don't plan on going crazy with Christmas, I want it to be more about fun and family then getting loot. I also don't want to have the house loaded with a bunch of junk they didn't need just because I "had" to spend this much money, you know?
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:22 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Well because they're so young (2, 4, and 5) they really don't understand the concept of money. So I try to get them the same amount of gifts...but also try to spend the same amount of money at the same time. When they're older and can understand, then I'm sure it will just be an equal amount of money. Either way, I'm teaching my kids the REAL meaning of Christmas and to not be greedy.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• we try to get the same amount. for each usually it ends up being around the same amount but not always.

we buy the kids three presents each and one gift from santa plus stocking stuffers. so fr I have spent more on my oldest but he is a teen. I also try to get things that they can do together also such as this year my middle boy is getting tinkertoys which his sister will like also and she is gettingf a huge ball you can get inside and be pused around in. of course her brother will love that too.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• My girls are 25 and 20.. The babies are 4 and at Christmas about a year. I usually spend right around 100.00 each on my girls and just try to find something really special for the babies... I would like to get the 4 year old a my size barbie this year, but man.. she has soooooo much already.. Maybe clothes....
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:50 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• We keep it pretty close, money wise. When they were smaller, they usually got the same exact things since they are close in age, and still get a lot of the same stuff.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 12:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2008