vision is 20/30 at 6

Ped said no to worry unless it gets to 20/40 but I am. lol. I have glasses and have since I was 2. DS was 20/20 last year at 5. Is it normal for their vision to decrease at this age? I thought it was either good or bad and you knew when they were little. Naive I guess but I really don't know.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 3:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, it's completely normal. I didn't have glasses until I was in 4th grade, my vision was fine until then. I have my daughter's tested every year since we have vision insurance, she's in 4th grade this year and it's the first year she's ever needed glasses. My son has had glasses for astigmatism since he was in 1st grade but just started needing them for farsightedness this year - he's in 5th grade. My vision has gotten progressively worse over the years.
    But it doesn't bother either of my kids. They have nice glasses - my daughter's have rhinestones on the corners and she absolutely loves them!

Answer by missanc at 5:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• There isn't anything you can do so don't worry. They have the cutest glasses now, plus when he tuns 18 he can have LASIK.

My daughter is 11 and is lucky if she has 20/60 vision in her left eye. She can't make out anything when she covers her good eye, even with her glasses on. It doesn't hold her back at all,  other people don't know how bad her vision is because she manages just fine. Don't let it bother you and chances are it wont bother him.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My DH was worse at 6 and I think I had 20/40 at 5. As they grown there vision can change sometimes quite drastically from year to year.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 4:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My husband and I both had bad eyesight until we had LASIK done, so we fully expect our kids to have bad eyesight as well. My 8 year old has been wearing glasses since he was 5. They have super cute glasses for kids these days. He looks very grown up in his, and he's always been good about keeping them on, not smudging them up, etc. My youngest had his first eye exam last year when he was 4 years old, and he was ok. I will take him back again in December to see if that has changed at all.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• missanc, those sound cute! Glasses sure have come a long way since I was a kid!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:09 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I cant remember if that is near or far sighted. My eye doctor says it's not uncommon once they start school, because our eyes are intended to see motion and distance. Once they start school and have to sit still and read all the time they often loose the ability to see distance. Or they cannot concentrate and are labled w/ behavior problems.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:34 PM on Oct. 9, 2010