What age do you think a child should have a cell phone?

AugustMidge

Asked by AugustMidge at 3:38 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was thinking 12 or 13 one of those disney ones if they still make them,the ones with three programed numbers and an emergency button so they can call home. Unless they pay for it themselves nothing nicer and no cameras.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 4:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• As soon as they start doing after school activities or going to slumber parties, birthday parties, etc. But it will be monitored and limited so they can not download things and call or text just whoever. I think it is imortant to have a means of communication because sometimes you just can't be with your kids at all times like at a birthday party or slumber party. Also, we get bad weather here and they often get sent home from school. I would like my children to be able to call me so they don't have to ride the bus in the instance of a flood or ice. The office at the school will not allow children to just go up and call their parents in an instance like that because then 500+ students would need to use the phone.
    MomX3LJC

Answer by MomX3LJC at 4:09 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Probably sometime in junior high.it also depends on how busy and how many extra activities they are in. Bc if my kids are in a ton of different activities and I can't be at them all then I'd like them to have one to let me know if practice is running later or got shortened.. Etc.
    lilma0608

Answer by lilma0608 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• When they are at least 15 an actually going somewhere with out adult supervision. Then it will be a basic pre-paid plan with only a few min on it for emergencies only. No min-no going out until I refill it the next month. If they want text and a fun phone they will need a job to pay the difference.

I do admit the firefly is cool. We just have no need for it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:41 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I was about 13 when I got my cell phone, but it was a t-mobile family plan that had 1000 minutes split between three phones, and my sister and I shared a phone. It was basically for when we went out, so we could call when we were ready to come home, or if there were issues.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 4:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I agree, whatever age where they start to do a lot of activities and I cannot be there for all of them.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• When they start extracurricular activities..or start going places on their own.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 8:10 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• When they can use it responsibly. My niece has had a cell phone since she was 9 year old and she's the kind of kid that can handle it. Her brother on the other hand, may not get one until he's 40!
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 8:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2010