formula feeding

I'm due in two weeks with my second child. I nursed my first but I won't be able to nurse this one because of the medication that I'm on. I don't know the first thing about formula feeding. There are so many options to pick a formula. Do you have a favorite? If you pick one, do you pretty much have to stick with it, (brand & type)? I heard that people used to make their own formula.... Do people still do that? Any info is appriciated. Thank you.

CarlyCo

Asked by CarlyCo at 4:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My favorite was Goodstart. my son didnt tolerate enfamil, simlac, parents choice..

so I'd say talk to ur doctor/pediatrician about what would be a good one to start on..and go from there. She may suggest one brand and if ur baby cant tolerate it..switch. I know its overwhelming but u dont really need all the different types unless ur baby specifically calls for soy or ar or lactose free or w/e. It's kinda like picking in the dark but most formulas are all the same just called something different. Good luck
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 4:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Not sure. The hospital usually has one that they recommend, but I would suggest you absolutely do your research. I always started off with that but changed my children to a soy based formula. Also, I have heard good thing about Carnation Good Start.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:07 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It is best to pick a type/brand and stick with it though it may take a while to find a good 'fit' for your baby. I always just used your basic Target Brand w/ DHA with mine. Some babies need a 'sensitive' brand or a soy formula. It will take some trial and error to some extent. Your Ped should be able to recommend what see see's most often being used and you could start there. I know nothing about making your own.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:07 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I have never heard of making your own. But I supplemented with formula at the beginning of both babies, then FF after 4 months. You need to stick with one formula, you can't say use a can of similac then try a can of nestles good start. Choose one, then if your baby is fussy, colicky, etc you could add a new formula. My first had to be on Nutramigen for 6 week, and it's expensive....well after 6 weeks when I transitioned to a new formula I mixed 4 cups at a time and adjusted one scopp each time. So the first day I put 1 scoop new formula and 15 scoops nutramigen into 4 cups of water. Then each day adjusted it by one, until the end then it was more like 2 scoops. Changing formulas often is shocking on their systems and could make one cranky baby. If your baby is really tolerant to any normal formula you could switch them to a "store" brand later and see if they are okay on it. Oh, and mixing up a days worth of bottles by....
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:10 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• ....by the cup and then filling the bottles helped with the air and gas it gave both mine. My mom taught me that, making one bottle at a time and shaking it up adds a lot of air to that liquid and their tummies. So I always make a day supply at once and heat as needed. Hope that was some helpful advice!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:11 PM on Oct. 9, 2010