Why do all kids think that their is either a monster under the bed or in the closet?

dgall3

Asked by dgall3 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Because kids are naturally afraid of dark spaces.

In fact, in architectural design, lighting is very important: people will not voluntarily walk from a light place into a dark space, unless it's very familiar to them. So, lighting a hall is not as important as lighting the destination room.

If there were soft lights under the bed and in the closet, kids would probably never speculate about what kinds of scary things were in there.

It was Ali Baba and his huge scimitar under my bed... and my mom's was crocodiles.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Not ALL kids do - none of my kids have ever thought that.
    Anonymous

• Mine didn't either..lol
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Mine did not either but if you have one of those use the spray can and label it monster killer!

Answer by older at 4:36 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I haven't had that issue with any of my children. Could it be inspired by something they saw in a cartoon or movie?
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Samuel didn't until Daddy introduced him to monsters! Grr..
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 4:45 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My three kids were never afraid of the dark and they never were afraid that there was something under their bed.
    crazymomof2374

Answer by crazymomof2374 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My ids don't think that. I did though.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Don't know...none of my kids ever thought that.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I was terrified of skeletons under the bed. Must've seen a movie when I was really little that had a skeleton under the bed. I was also petrified of the demon who lived at the bottom of the stairs. I refused to go downstairs to go to the bathroom because of it...I'd wake my little sister to come with me. My son's not afraid of the dark, or of things under the bed or in the closet. No idea why. He's just braver than mommy was I guess.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2010