Why do Christians celebrate Halloween when it is of Pagan origin?

dgall3

Asked by dgall3 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Religious Debate

• 2 Timothy 3:1 But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up [with pride], lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power.

PinkLentil

Answer by PinkLentil at 5:09 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Why do atheist celebrate Christmas if it is a Christian Holiday?

Same reason--because they want to.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I don't celebrate it the same way I do Christmas, I think it is fun and something for the kids. I don't take Halloween to seriously, not that I am bashing anyone who does. My kids will dress up and go trick or treating and have a good time w/o it meaning much to me or them.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• For the candy, pop, stickers, toys.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Because we want too! Children get a kick out of dressing up and getting free candy! It isn't like we are sitting around a bunch of candles chanting Pagan rituals. Kids love to dress up. Kids love candy. :)
    cassiesarcher

Answer by cassiesarcher at 5:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Most christians dont know that....that and its fun to dress up the kids in cute costumes
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 5:06 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Thank you, Silversmom. I was going to point that out myself. In reality, the Christian church found it difficult to convert people from paganism simply because they'd worshipped that way for so long. Holy days and Solstices were revered not only for religious reasons but because they coincided with major changes in life every year. The autumn equinox signalled a coming winter, time to harvest crops and stay inside more. The spring equinox signalled the births of many children, and animals, a majorly fertile time. To convince people, they simply adapted pagan holidays to Christian purposes.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• The Christian church didn't convert these pagan celebrations, the Catholic church did. Christians then adopted them in later years.

IMO, it's wrong to celebrate all of these if you're a Christian. Especially if you're going to attach God or Jesus to it and pretend to worship him while celebrating.
    Anonymous

• Halloween is NOT a Pagan holiday. It's not even a Christian holiday. All Saint's Day is a Christian holiday. Halloween in an American commercial holiday designed to sell candy. They found a Irish folk tradition and filled the niche and poof, Halloween was born. Samhain IS a modern Pagan / Wiccan holiday. Samhain is NOT Halloween.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 5:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• because for us it has NOTHING to do w/ anything "Pagan". its costumes and candy...which if done on any other day of the year no one would think twice about it. Halloween is a marketing holiday like Valentines or Mothers day and for the most part even Christmas. also, in my house we arent super strict Christians, we search our hearts to see if something is dangerous to our faith, not Bible verses twisted to mean what we want it to mean to prove our point.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2010