I guess I'm the family snob

I consider myself to be a hoarder, but the state of my place when I think it's a mess is better that what most of my relatives places look like after they've 'cleaned up'

I'm a snob or a bad daughter because I don't want to fill my place up with stuff from family members like my sister does.

Instead of saying 'pop' I now say 'soda' because I moved to another state, and no one knew what I was talking about.

I seldom shop from store clearance bins because I'd rather pay a little more for things I really like and have less of it.

I don't eat the kind of foods that my family eats anymore because my tastes have changed.
I would never sit around in pants with holes like my mom does- I've got my relaxing clothes, but they look like what my mom dresses up in.

Feeling like the black sheep these days-
anyone else?

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• It sounds like you're growing up... and they're not. That's okay. You don't have to be the same as them in order to respect their right to be themselves. They don't have to be the same as you in order for you to accept that they don't accept you, changing or staying the same.

Be yourself. They'll either manage to find a space for who you have become in their heads or they'll drift away and you can fill your life with people you enjoy.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• You're only a snob if you judge your family for not changing and growing, or not being very clean, or wearing different clothes.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• well I guess im a bitch for not liking utah

and i should have not gave birth to my daughter because its not fair that a teen can get pregnant but nicki who is a lesbian and is older cant!!!

I guess im a bitch because weve let a grip of people stay at our house who treated us like shit and effed us over in the end and i wont do it again!!
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 5:10 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Yes, My family is white. I started dating black/african american men whe I was like 17. Family did not like that much. Had 2 half black/white DD's too.
    The only thing I can say, is stay tru to your self. Do not change for anyone. execpt your family for who thay are. And hope they do the same thing.

Answer by louise2 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I agree, less is best, and pop soda whatever, but when it comes to clothes, I'm a stickler-if there are holes in it=fix it or mend it or throw it out. Cleanliness is important.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My family thinks I'm a snob to but I do act as if I'm better than them. Why? Because I believe its wrong to physically and mentally abuse children. I think it's wrong to meet men on the internet in different states and then drive there to have sex with them (and that is what my mom has done). I believe that I should provide for myself and not mooch off of everyone I know. Am I a snob? I don't think so. Are you a snob? I don't think you are.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Wow, you seriously just described my life in a nutshell. I am constantly being accused of being a snob by my family since I moved to MA almost 2 years ago. But we're also making a bit more money than we were, so we like having nice things. If that makes me a snob, so be it. I feel you, honey, I really do.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 7:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Personally I don't think you are a snob at all. I have some family members who consider me to be a snob because I buy Pepsi and they have to buy generic soda, I like Starbucks and I treat myself to Starbucks, I color my hair and I wear nice clothes, I can afford to buy what I want at the grocery store and they can't, because I recently bought a Keurig and the K-cups coffees and they have to make due with an old Mr Coffee pot and buy generic coffee, and we also eat out frequently-- and they can't afford to. Needless to say I also work my butt off and put in 40hr/week-- and they don't!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2010