my son is 2 months old and I am a heavy sleeper. I don not wake up to him crying unless he is in the bed with me. My husband doesnt like him in the bed. What should I do?

Mrs.Smith07

Asked by Mrs.Smith07 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you are sleeping that sound I would get a sleep apnea test. but to handle the problem, get a monitor and put it right next to your head. I would be afraid if toy sleep that sould you could hurt the baby in your sleep and not know it.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:18 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• i agree with Lyndall. get a baby monitor and turn it up loud!
    Fanta-Mommy

Answer by Fanta-Mommy at 11:21 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I agree, too.... a good baby monitor that you can turn up really loud. Also, consider keeping him in a bassinette close to the bed. I'm not a fan of co-sleeping, either (just because I need my space in bed, not because I think it's wrong). I kept my baby in our room until he was about 6 months old.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:25 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I did that with my second, the first I was fine with but it would take me awhile to wake up with my second. I used a baby moniter too and it worked well good luck
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 11:33 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• get a moniter and tuirn it up full blast thats what i do its hard 4 me to wake as well
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 11:44 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I would suggest the monitor to....but is your hubby a heavy sleeper also? If not, keep the baby in the other room and when the baby cries and your hubby hears it, tell him to wake you up. If he's got a problem with that...tell him to bad because he helped create your wonderful bundle of joy!! Also it's a good idea to that some of the other mom's said about putting the baby in a bassinet next to you..if you have one. Take care!!!
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Well, I would put him in his own room, get a baby monitor and turn it wayyyyyyyyyyyy up... If you sleep that sound, the baby is being put in a dangerous situation from you or your husband rolling over on him...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Yikes...SIDS is too high a risk at baby's age and having him in bed with you...far too dangerous. Get a good monitor, turn it all the way up and put it next to your head...or have your hubby nudge you when it's time to get up and feed him.
    JillianMomOf3

Answer by JillianMomOf3 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Actually, I'm going to be the odd one here. There is proof (no, I don't have it right this minute, but I can get it and pm you) that co-sleeping is a good thing. You are more in tune with your baby (like you said in your post) and your baby actually sleeps better, too. Co-sleeping has been done for many, many of years. I would say, talk to your hubby and see about trying out co-sleeping for at least a week. Then, you guys can talk about it again and see if it is working. I have co-slept with both my kids, and I say I have gotten way more sleep because of it, and same with my kids. Hope I helped at least a little! :)
    workathome01

Answer by workathome01 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• what i did with me second child and am starting with my third who is 7 weeks is i set my alarm clock to wake me up before he does. this is beneficial in two ways one i wake up before he does so he don't have to wake up crying, this way its easier for him to go back to sleep and secodly this help put him on a schedule. so if your baby wake up every three hours set you clock two hours and 45 minutes later from the time he went to sleep. this way you have time to get a bottle ready and change his diaper. then when it goes off feed him then once he goes back to sleep set it for two hours and 45 minutes later. keep in mind it is not safe to have a newborn sleep in the bed with you, its an accident waiting to happen. good luck.
    mom2gavahnyaand

Answer by mom2gavahnyaand at 1:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2008