I was at the hospital last night having contractions and the doctors stopped my labor....what gives?

I'm 37 weeks pregnant with number 2. Any reason for stopping my labor this late in pregnancy????

luvsgriffin

Asked by luvsgriffin at 5:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes! 37wks may be full term, but it is still early. If your baby can reasonably finish out the 40 wks, he/she stands a much better chance of not having any medical issues at birth such as underdeveloped lungs, or heart. I'm sure your dr is just keeping your child's well being in mind. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• if ur cervix wasnt rippening it could be good enough reason. also if u were in a lot of pain and needed rest could be another. srry to hear they stopped it. but remember each day ur baby is inside u, he/she gets stronger
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 5:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Yes they really would like you to wait a few more weeks usully. 37 weeks is still a premature baby and can still cause complications. Why would you not want to wait awhile longer? We had our fisrt 2 at 36 weeks and they both had to be in the NICU,its hard and stressful and I wouldnt want that to happent o anyone. Good luck mama!
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• lol! Same thing happened to us. We were 38 weeks. They stopped ours because although the contractions were 2 min apart, my cervix was only 3cm dialated. After two hours the contractions were still 2 min, and the cervix hadnt changed. They gave me a morphine shot and sodium somethin'or other and sent us home. I think that was my only chance at a natural birth lol. At week 42 I went in to be induced and ended up having to get a c-section. Hopefully you have better luck =/
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 5:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Because the baby isn't done cooking:)
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• were you dialated? i had ds at 37 wks
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• sounds very reasonable to me. your baby might be "term" but their brains are not finished developing until 39 - 40 weeks. Might as well give baby all the time in the womb for the BEST start in life.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 7:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Shouldn't you be asking your doctor why?? I'm sure he has his reasons.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:14 PM on Oct. 9, 2010