What can it be? and is it really that serious?

My son Ezekiel has somewhat of a mucus cough. After he coughs he tries to catch his breath. He asks like normal. Eats and drinks and plays just like himself. So I don't think it's and emergency to take him to the ER. But this cough does concerns me. It started his morning and I don't know if I should take him to the emergency to get him check or just wait till Monday when his doctor's office is open.

inez1331

Asked by inez1331 at 5:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Call the weekend on-call person at your doctors office. They might be able to listen to your child and tell you what to do.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• i would wait. whooping cough (which can be deadly) sounds like he is saying whoooping in between coughs. if he has long boughts of coughing fits and cant catch his breath btwn them, then yeah, try to take him somewhere.
    before u take him newhere sit him in the bathroom with water running to loosen the congestion up. also use some vicks on his chest. make sure he drinks lots of water. and monitor his temp.

chances are tho that with weather changing he's just getting a cold
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 5:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• A mucousy cough can just be a sign of an oncoming common cold. To help loosen the mucous and encourage him to cough it out, have him sit in a steamy room (the bathroom, run the shower or a tub.) or gently pat his back. My son gets coughs all the time if there is a weather change. Unless he develops a high fever (102.5 or higher) I'd call monday and schedule an appt. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• See i did do that. And she told me to just monitor him. And because of his age, she can't refer me over the counter medication.
    inez1331

Comment by inez1331 (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Wow this is all good information! Thank you very much ladies!!!
    inez1331

Comment by inez1331 (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I'd take him to the Dr's just to be on the safe side.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:07 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Also, try to keep him away from dairy products...that produces a LOT of mucous which could slow down (or "hide" signs of) recovery.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 7:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• No Dairy. Have him drink a glass of warm lemon water to help break up the mucus.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I would at least call and I agree on no dairy or sugar. A honey lemon tea would be good.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:27 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Emily has done that lately. She had a lot of snot, and I just suction it out, take her in the bathroom and let the shower run hot water until the bathroom steams up, and let her breathe in the steam. It helps to loosen the mucous, so I can suction it out. I also put baby vicks on her chest, and run a vaporizer. She seemed to get past it without any complications.
    MountainMomma3

Answer by MountainMomma3 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2010