After 1day of antibiotic for an ear infection canu get a fever

jomama2467

Asked by jomama2467 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well my son have a nasty ear infection and actually today Is the first day in three days that he haven't cry that much or have a fever. This is our third day on antibiotic. But my son ear infection is really bad. Idk how is your son.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 5:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Absolutely, It can take as long as 3 days for the ABT to really be kicking the infection down. Be sure to finish the medicine as perscribed/.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Sure, if the infection is virual, the antibiotics arent really doing anything anyway excpet disrupting the flora in his tummy.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I agree with GrnEyedGrandma ABT dont kick in until the 3 or 4 day and it works 3 to 4 days after you finished so hang in there give motrin and luke warm baths and finish the med. good luck
    mom2b4u

Answer by mom2b4u at 12:28 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• yes, but it's most likely because the medicine still needs time to fight the infection. Keep an eye on the fever, if it gets to high take him to the ER. I wouldn't give him any other medicine unless you talk to your doctor because you don't know how they will react to each other an dyou don't want him to have a bad reaction.
    Other than that, just keep an eye on the fever, if it continues for more than a day or two, call the dr. back so he can see him again, and maybe get a different medication.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:58 PM on Oct. 10, 2010