Anyone have the Lap Band?

If you do was the operation worth it? What are the pro's and cons?

Darla47

Asked by Darla47 at 5:45 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Health

• I have it. It has been a roller coaster ride. I am glad I did it because I was at the point where I was miserable so it has helped me take off about 90 pounds. I had lots of complications though. The doctors had a lot of trouble getting my adjustments right so I was constantly throwing up my own stomach acid because the band was too tight. There were days when I couldn't even swallow water and had to go get fluid taken out of the band. I also had my "port" detach. The port is the piece stitched to a muscle inside your stomach in which they insert the needle to make fills. I needed a 2nd surgery to reattach it.
    I would recommend the band if it's your last hope. It's NOT a quick fix. You need to relearn eating healthy, small portions, & small bites. I still need to lose 30 pounds but I am sick of the complications & have given up on the band for now.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I have a Lap Band and have heard it be referred to as a "Crap Band". Initially I lost over 150 pounds but have gained back 60.
    Honestly, I got SO tried of vomiting up part of every meal, pieces of bread, rice, meat, apple, etc getting stuck just above where the band sits and having to excuse myself to the bathroom to try to dislodge (vomit) it.
    There have been times when I've been at a restaurant and had food get stuck with my first bite.
    Also, I've had the absolute WORST reflux ever for the past two years. I almost have to sleep in a sitting position and will be checked soon to see if the band has eroded into my stomach. If so it will have to be removed.
    Given the chance to do it over I would have had a gastric bypass. For me, the Lap Band just hasn't been worth the pain.
    BakingMom74

Answer by BakingMom74 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Please reconsider. Don't do it unless it is a medical emergency.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My DH's ex got one. Oy! Why on earth would you? She has to take pills for protien, vitamins, as you cannot eat your body really needs. Too much $$$$! And how wierd is this? You can feel it! I felt her bellyn and you can totally fell it! Eewwww! I wouldn't. But that's me . She loves it.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 5:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I did the altrnative, its called FORM. its does the same thing except it is in pill form.  I lost 20 pounds in 1 month without dieting, it made me eat wayyy less. i walked maybe 2 nlocks from my house and back.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 5:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• wow I think I will look into other options after reading your answer Orionsgirl. Thanks for the answer everyone it was very informative.
    I'm no 300lbs or something just a little over weight that I have been struggling with since I had my kids many years ago. My body just never got pack to the way before the kids!
    Darla47

Comment by Darla47 (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• thx ladies..i was considering this myself..the dr was going to set up the counseling..now im reconsidering..tho i im overweight..im not obese
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 12:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2010