Do you think parents and teachers need to step up and start putting and end to bullying based on sexual orientation and race?

Do you think they should be held partially responsible for the actions of their own children toward others?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101008/ap_on_re_us/us_bullying_one_town

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 5:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think if more people were willing to teach their children tolerance of all regardless of these things, this wouldn't even be an issue. But when you have so many adults (many of which are parents) who believe it's wrong to be Gay, wrong to be Black, wrong to be Muslim... Yadda Yadda... It's purely an inevitability that we will have children who carry the same beliefs and who act on them... We shouldn't HAVE to be stepping in and teaching this stuff by the time they reach an age where bullying is an issue - It SHOULD be being taught from day one. Children don't naturally see someone as Black, Gay, or whatever else... They have to be taught these things, and taught that they are wrong BEFORE they see then as something to bully over... They are picking it up somewhere, and most of the time, it's the parents teaching these thoughts... And then those same parents turn around and act shocked when their kids pick it up...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:20 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• For once I agree! They should be responsible and I personally think those parents should be brought up on charges of neglect. Neglect to teach their kids how to properly treat others which resulted in deaths!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• LOL hazel I agree 100%!!! I think that any parent who lets their children hate people because of their race(which they can not change) or who the love(which they can't change) should be held accountable!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I totally agree! Parents need to teach their children what is right and wrong! And when teachers see this kind of behavior going on, they as well need to teach the children! That is why we call them teachers right! Kids do not learn what is not taught!
    SheLovesMeToo

Answer by SheLovesMeToo at 6:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Hell Yes!!! And there is so much more I could write - examples, stories,etc.... You really should just Talk to my Two daughters. My 12yr old being teased for 6+YRS about facial scars and my 14yr old about being bi/sexual. The school did nothing!!!! I Could Write A Best Selling Novel.... Really You Want The Honest Down Right Truth Email Me....

emily1230

Answer by emily1230 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Paents need to raise kind,compassionate and reasonable children who will not bully anyone,for any reason.
    But...that is done best by parents setting a good example and treating other adults in a kind way....so, that might be a challenge.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• If I got a note or a call from my son school telling me that he was bulling a child at school. I would take that very serious and put a stop to it. We would have very long talks and figure out why he feels the need to hurt someone else.

You can also count that if I find out someone bullies my kid I expect the school and there parents to put a end to it within a few days.

However you will find bully kids usually have crappy home lifes, thats why they are bullies they are angry pissed off kids that feel they are powerless in there homes so they create the illusion of power at school.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 1:22 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Agree!!!

Answer by older at 7:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• yes- PARENTS especially!! It all starts at HOME.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• While I agree that tolerance starts at home, I don't think you can always fault the parents for their children doing horrible things. My kids are pretty tolerant I think, they are all VERY different and I think they will all be in different "cliques" when they are in high school. They know it is not nice to make fun of people for any reason as a matter of fact my 6 y/o got in trouble today for making a big deal out of a man in a wheelchair and for pointing and laughing. But, I can already tell Alex is going to be a pain in high school because he is mean at home, I will do all can for him but, if he does something to someone I don't want to be held responsible because he couldn't control himself. What good would that do? Nothing. I do know that if my child was constantly being bullied at school for whatever reason, they would no longer be attending that school.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:14 PM on Oct. 9, 2010