Need Help! My 4 year old boys teacher thinks he is ADD because he sometimes acts like he doesn't hear her and other times when in reading group will just get up and go play. He loves school is very smart and can't wait to do his homework.He cleans his own room when told. We read stories every night with no problem. He could have ADD but I think he is a typical 4year old boy . Worried

Need advice on ADD in a 4 year old

Bigfam88

Asked by Bigfam88 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He is 4 years old..I wouldn't worry about it honestly. My 4 year old is WAY worse, lol. We homeschool so thankfully I won't have to worry about what the teacher thinks.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Have you ever considered homeshooling? I just personally think that is so much easier for young children. My little girl is only 4 months old, but I have always planned on homeshooling. I mean when you think about it until kids go to school they can pretty much run around and do what they want, and be kids on a schedual that is best fore THEM, then when they go to school they have to do what everyone else is doing when they are all doing it, and that is a big change for a little guy. Teachers are crazy to call a 4 yr old ADD. He seems like a normal sweet little boy, plase do not let the teacher talk you into to medicating your son, you know him better than anyone and you know whats best.
    nkkk07

Answer by nkkk07 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Teachers love to push ADD and ADHD onto little boys because then the school gets paid more money. Your son sounds like a normal little boy, kids are meant to play not to be sitting there for hours on end just listening. Kids are programed to learn through playing and exploring, it sounds as though your son is just like most every other little boy. I homeschool my 5 year old son I love it I love spending the time with my children and watching them learn. Don't let the school push a diagnosis on your son.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 11:40 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I would be more concerned if your doctor was talking to you about it. Yes, teachers do spend a lot of time with your children, but as the PP said, he is 4...sitting still all day would be an awful chore for a child his age. Trust your instincts mama, if you think your son is fine, he probably is.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I think that he is a typcial, NORMAL 4 year old boy. Please don't let the teachers blindside you this ADHD stuff... They will do everything they can to communize the classroom. Let the child be, get a different teacher!!!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:54 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• He is probably alot like my 6 yr. when he was in preschool he does not have ADD he just was the clown that wanted to make everyone laugh. There also alot of distractions, maybe he needs to not sit by the same kids ever day.
    If school is a new thing (less than 6mo) he is still getting used to it so give him some time. I am glad that my preschool was understanding and new these things.
    Oh and ask for a schedule, see how much play time they have, most preschools dont ask them to sit for more than 10 min. at a time b/c they know they can't last much longer than that. Good luck
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 11:55 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• He is probably just distracted by other things. And reading a story can be pretty boring for a 4 y/o. Even if he does have ADD there no reason for it to be diagnosed or treated. He is only 4 y/o and he hurting anyone. Now, if you want to see a 4 y/o w/ problems we can discuss MY 4 y/o. He has ADHD and is violent, angry, no impulse control, hits, bites, screams and if he doesn't get to do what he wants he will be very mean and hateful. My child has the problem that need to be addressed but, yours child is acting like a 4 y/o. Maybe start working with him at home by teaching him how to keep his attention on one thing for 15 minutes: coloring, reading, eating things like that.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Generally, with either ADD or ADHD, it presents a problem both at home and at school. You don't have problems at home, so to me, he's normal. It sounds like perhaps her authority is not as strong as it should be over her classroom, and rather than admit that the problem may be with her, she would just rather put it on your child. If you're truly concerned, you could talk to his doctor, but to me it sounds pretty normal.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:40 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• all the answers above are pretty good. Ask her how long she has them do one activity? He may just not like what they are doing. Does she offer alternatives? What has SHE done to address the issue?
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I am so sick of people wanting to label a child with ADD just because they are normal, that's right I said NORMAL and active!! Good grief, since when did it become a DISEASE or a SYNDROME for a child to be active? That's called BEING A CHILD, it's not something to freak out about or drug them up for, especially boys.
    Anonymous